Maculiceps Tang

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am thinking about getting one and was wondering everyone's opinion. I have a 7ft 250 gallon with decent amount of swimming area. I am researching and I am seeing conflicting info about their adult size. I am seeing anywhere from 10" to 16". Anyone with experience or knowledgeable about this fish please let me know. It will be going in with a Gem Tang, Kole Tang, Chocolate Mimic Tang (not sure if they will be okay) all at the same time. If the Maculiceps is a no-go than by backup will be the Lieutenant Tang.

Currently in Tank
Foxface
Flame Hawkfish
1 Orange & 1 Black Clownfish
Lawnmower Blenny
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Meleranous Wrasse (spelling??)

Current QT: Orange Shoulder back Wrasse & Leopard Wrasse

Future List:
Bluethroat Trigger
Flame Angel
Starki Damsel
Gem Tang
Kole Tang
Maculiceps Tang (If okay)
Chocolate Mimic Tang

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am thinking about getting one and was wondering everyone's opinion. I have a 7ft 250 gallon with decent amount of swimming area. I am researching and I am seeing conflicting info about their adult size. I am seeing anywhere from 10" to 16". Anyone with experience or knowledgeable about this fish please let me know. It will be going in with a Gem Tang, Kole Tang, Chocolate Mimic Tang (not sure if they will be okay) all at the same time. If the Maculiceps is a no-go than by backup will be the Lieutenant Tang.

Currently in Tank
Foxface
Flame Hawkfish
1 Orange & 1 Black Clownfish
Lawnmower Blenny
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Meleranous Wrasse (spelling??)

Current QT: Orange Shoulder back Wrasse & Leopard Wrasse

Future List:
Bluethroat Trigger
Flame Angel
Starki Damsel
Gem Tang
Kole Tang
Maculiceps Tang (If okay)
Chocolate Mimic Tang
Some aggression will be there. I'll Say don't put maculiceps tang as it may show dominance to other tangs. Try to add all other tangs in one time. If u can't, switch your lights off and then add. Also don't put 2 tangs together as u don't want to be it one on one. Starki demsel should be introduced before trigger otherwise it'll be a snack. If u see Tang aggression try mirror trick that what I do. U hv good space so u might not see so much trouble

OP
OP
M

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some aggression will be there. I'll Say don't put maculiceps tang as it may show dominance to other tangs. Try to add all other tangs in one time. If u can't, switch your lights off and then add. Also don't put 2 tangs together as u don't want to be it one on one. Starki demsel should be introduced before trigger otherwise it'll be a snack. If u see Tang aggression try mirror trick that what I do. U hv good space so u might not see so much trouble
Good to know

troypt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to keep a maculiceps tang for a number of years. I’ve probably tied 10
times. They always ate but gradually got skinnier and skinnier and then died. I tried as many different foods as I could think of. I also tried quarantining them and medicating with prazipro and that didn’t help. Finally I was talking to someone at a LFS that had been successful with keeping one and they fed seaweed extreme pellets. I purchased another maculiceps tang and have had it for 6-7 months and it is doing great and has gained weight. Apparently, they need lots of seaweed/plant based food and even though I was feeding a variety of foods enriched with vitamins and putting nori on a clip, they didn’t get enough.
As far as aggression, the ones I’ve had were fine with my other tangs. Currently, I have one with a hippo and a purple tang in a 125 gallon tank and there are no problems. Of course individual fish will be different
Troy

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to keep a maculiceps tang for a number of years. I’ve probably tied 10
times. They always ate but gradually got skinnier and skinnier and then died. I tried as many different foods as I could think of. I also tried quarantining them and medicating with prazipro and that didn’t help. Finally I was talking to someone at a LFS that had been successful with keeping one and they fed seaweed extreme pellets. I purchased another maculiceps tang and have had it for 6-7 months and it is doing great and has gained weight. Apparently, they need lots of seaweed/plant based food and even though I was feeding a variety of foods enriched with vitamins and putting nori on a clip, they didn’t get enough.
As far as aggression, the ones I’ve had were fine with my other tangs. Currently, I have one with a hippo and a purple tang in a 125 gallon tank and there are no problems. Of course individual fish will be different
Troy
When they r small they r peaceful but when they get to big size, they become a terror. I hv kept this tang 6 times and all time I suffered this. I hv donated 2 of them. They often come with internal parasites that what makes them not to eat. They r actually not known to live for long time. That's the reason I say don't add it. They r active but I saw that stress can kill them. Infact, qt can kill them from stress. 2 times it died from stress of qt. Also u can't medicate if u don't see any wrong thing like they r not eating,itching,itc and then treat them accordingly. Where I live they r expensive but they not live for long so I don't get it. I feed mine--Spirulina brine shrimp, LRS Herbivore diet,mysis shrimp(some eat some will igonore it),small plankton, algae should be in your tank,Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract,Hikari Marine pellets,Formula 2 flake and frozen foods. I prefer large pellets for tangs

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back