OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a double shelf for a set of 6G bookshelf tanks (works in progress) in 80/20 and I really like how it turned out. Ordering from tnutz the metal parts were less than a hundred dollars and then I just had to cut some additional plastic pieces. I like the idea of a nano cube on something similar, but as a vertical stand....

30-I-23-Cave-Environment-I.jpg

22-I-23-Plastic-Beach-IV.jpg
Ooo...I like that! Dedicated build thread???

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quick update...nothing much has changed.

Outbreak of zoa nudi's from the initial stocking has been a pain, but a double-strength dose of Flatworm Exit did wonders for the larger nudi's. It was crazy to see them flood out of rocks and zoa colonies trying to escape the pain! I'll do another dose next week to catch any hatchlings. None of the other livestock seemed bothered at all, in fact everything seems much happier the following day.

Surface scum has been a little annoying as it builds up in the center of the tank. I'm using it as an indicator for when a water change is needed. Generally it takes about a week for the scum to accumulate enough to bother me.

Two new pieces of equipment to note: oxydator added to help with oxygenation and CO2 scrubber to reduce CO2 (obviously). Both seem to be working, ORP and PH are both consistently up. Algae seems to be growing less quickly which could be from the oxydator increasing the ORP or it could be tank maturity.

Controller has been stable! We've had two quick power outages since setting it up with both triggering the expected failsafe's in the setup. It takes about 8 seconds for the controller to kick back on when the power restores and it all goes back to normal.

1642874402569.png

@MaddyP This is an amazing build. I'm in the process of setting up my 300g and I'm enjoying the technical build of the Reef-Pi system, which I nearly have completed(for now). I'm focusing on the dashboard and remote monitoring aspect now. I setup an awesome dashboard in Grafana, but the lack of ability to control is it's only downside to me. I setup Node-Red and got a little bit into it, but my problem is I know and understand electronics much better than I do coding. By that I mean I can follow coding and mostly understand what it is saying/doing, but can not write it. Would it be possible to get your JSON export? Even if it's just one of each type of flow that would be a huge help. If I can get an example then I can understand the process better to mimic and create the different switches and graphs for the other sensors. I appreciate it.

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MaddyP This is an amazing build. I'm in the process of setting up my 300g and I'm enjoying the technical build of the Reef-Pi system, which I nearly have completed(for now). I'm focusing on the dashboard and remote monitoring aspect now. I setup an awesome dashboard in Grafana, but the lack of ability to control is it's only downside to me. I setup Node-Red and got a little bit into it, but my problem is I know and understand electronics much better than I do coding. By that I mean I can follow coding and mostly understand what it is saying/doing, but can not write it. Would it be possible to get your JSON export? Even if it's just one of each type of flow that would be a huge help. If I can get an example then I can understand the process better to mimic and create the different switches and graphs for the other sensors. I appreciate it.

Thanks! It was a fun build which I intend to recreate in a more stable manner now that we’ve moved. Many remodeling projects to do first but I’ll get there. I’ll see if I can find the flows tomorrow to share the json.

Is this what happens when the CAD designers at work get hobbies?

Good luck with the move.

You’re not too far off! I was a machinist in a past life and now work in IT.

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! It was a fun build which I intend to recreate in a more stable manner now that we’ve moved. Many remodeling projects to do first but I’ll get there. I’ll see if I can find the flows tomorrow to share the json.

You’re not too far off! I was a machinist in a past life and now work in IT.
Thank you! As much of it you are willing to share I will graciously appreciate. I have abandoned Grafana, and have been tinkering with Home Assistant in the mean time, but really like the capabilites of Node Red itself.

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sure you are still busy post-move, but any chance of getting the JSON? I got everything up and running in Home Assistant and figured I was going to be happy with that, but from what I read, Node-Red is much better for automation and scripting. I have started to learning JS so figured I would give NR another run on the side. Some people will use NR for scripts and automation, and HA for the dashboard. Since I at least have something functional, I'm curious to see if I can develop something better through NR. Thanks

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you are still busy post-move, but any chance of getting the JSON? I got everything up and running in Home Assistant and figured I was going to be happy with that, but from what I read, Node-Red is much better for automation and scripting. I have started to learning JS so figured I would give NR another run on the side. Some people will use NR for scripts and automation, and HA for the dashboard. Since I at least have something functional, I'm curious to see if I can develop something better through NR. Thanks
Thanks for the reminder and apologies for the time! Yes, we are remodeling nearly the entire house so reefing hasn't been on my mind. Here is my entire flow on my last setup:

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the reminder and apologies for the time! Yes, we are remodeling nearly the entire house so reefing hasn't been on my mind. Here is my entire flow on my last setup:

Not a problem and thank you very much. I thought I was content with Home Assistant, but now that I'm starting to learn some coding as time permits. I want to see what I can come up with in NR. Plus your design and layout was so clean and organized it gives an awesome starting point, or tweak and use as is.

On top of that, I've been redoing floors in the house, and now a shower remodel has been decided by the wife. So I know your pain to some degree lol

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem and thank you very much. I thought I was content with Home Assistant, but now that I'm starting to learn some coding as time permits. I want to see what I can come up with in NR. Plus your design and layout was so clean and organized it gives an awesome starting point, or tweak and use as is.

On top of that, I've been redoing floors in the house, and now a shower remodel has been decided by the wife. So I know your pain to some degree lol
Let me know if you need any more direction with that repo. I plan to setup another tank in my office once I have all the sheetrock finished.

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will do. Been so busy myself, I haven't even started up the NR server yet lol. Work is slow, maybe I'll VPN into my Pi and tinker with it now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back