MaddyP's 12G Long - Node-Red Nano Peninsula

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ladies and gents, though this has been a very long process without many updates of late, we have ignition!

CA346D10-7052-4FAE-9D01-E73FCB4757F0.jpeg

Finally finished up enough of the code to feel confident in basic operation of keeping water in the display. Still some work to do on the visuals but it's coming together!

1637783735876.png

Here are a few more images of the setup, I'll try to extrapolate more soon. Some of the extra rock in the display will be removed once seeded, these are purely to facilitate biodiversity (live rock from Salty Bottom Reefs).

F4AFB7EC-6E95-412E-A905-8707E8E7CCD2.jpeg

02E3EA17-5C3A-4D40-9359-463EB77AAF05.jpeg

Controller remains relatively unchanged, though I will be adding SSD for stability and a CO2 sensor for fun.

28AE2749-349F-45F3-8A57-F66BAE2B7E76.jpeg

ED8DBE1A-BF86-4ABC-8CB6-BF2CCAFFE8B9.jpeg
Panduit love!

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update...nothing much has changed.

Outbreak of zoa nudi's from the initial stocking has been a pain, but a double-strength dose of Flatworm Exit did wonders for the larger nudi's. It was crazy to see them flood out of rocks and zoa colonies trying to escape the pain! I'll do another dose next week to catch any hatchlings. None of the other livestock seemed bothered at all, in fact everything seems much happier the following day.

Surface scum has been a little annoying as it builds up in the center of the tank. I'm using it as an indicator for when a water change is needed. Generally it takes about a week for the scum to accumulate enough to bother me.

Two new pieces of equipment to note: oxydator added to help with oxygenation and CO2 scrubber to reduce CO2 (obviously). Both seem to be working, ORP and PH are both consistently up. Algae seems to be growing less quickly which could be from the oxydator increasing the ORP or it could be tank maturity.

Controller has been stable! We've had two quick power outages since setting it up with both triggering the expected failsafe's in the setup. It takes about 8 seconds for the controller to kick back on when the power restores and it all goes back to normal.

1642874402569.png

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious about the ultrasonic sensor you are using. How far away from obstacles does it need to be to get an accurate reading? Can you mount it along the edge of your sump or does it need to be over a flat unobstructed surface to work?

Dennis

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious about the ultrasonic sensor you are using. How far away from obstacles does it need to be to get an accurate reading? Can you mount it along the edge of your sump or does it need to be over a flat unobstructed surface to work?

Dennis
The model I’m using has a response curve of about two inches:

95C82BC5-3749-4BF7-8FB3-DC09346979AD.jpeg

It might work up against the wall but more than likely the reading will be sporadic.

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool setup! This looks like a good discussion for me to sift through beginning-to-end.

I guess that's the same or similar 12g long tank I have in my bookshelf terrarium project. I really like that size and shape.

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Past due for an update! Tank is maturing well with consistent water changes. An issue on my part caused an overnight dump of hydrogen peroxide which wiped out eveything except zoa’s and two porcelain crabs.

31DD0716-5DA8-44EB-BC6B-C211AE80A0CE.jpeg
C020219C-89D2-4F79-9155-683A820D3E50.jpeg
11086D7A-11FA-4582-925F-732E13C08A00.jpeg
9FAF1EDD-2F62-4E0D-90E9-0B92A6C6CEF1.jpeg

Controller is also operating as expected. Consistent water level held in the display within 1/4” and failsafes kicking in when needed.

A263D23D-CA63-4F32-A754-897362E53D7B.jpeg

I’ve come up with a few ideas for a more refined version of this setup which I may begin developing over the next few months. :)

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a cool setup! I love that stand. Did a lot of stuff die with the H2O2 dump?

Maybe this will motivate me to get my bookshelf tank project rolling again. It's still just sitting there, empty.

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a cool setup! I love that stand. Did a lot of stuff die with the H2O2 dump?

Maybe this will motivate me to get my bookshelf tank project rolling again. It's still just sitting there, empty.
Thanks! Yes, I lost several SPS and snails with the H2O2 dump but somehow the zoa’s seem happier? Weird.

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more updates for this project?

Also, I'm thinking about a nano cube tank on an 80-20 stand. What kind of hardware is that securing the HDPE top?

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still happy with the Jaxracks sump kit? I'm looking at one for my sump and one of their overflows. Very clean build!

Honestly, were I to do it over I would have a local glass shop cut some 0.25" glass panels. The kit worked as expected but I never have good luck with acrylic / glass / silicone.

Any more updates for this project?

Also, I'm thinking about a nano cube tank on an 80-20 stand. What kind of hardware is that securing the HDPE top?

Indeed there has been a major update, though likely not what you wanted. My wife and I decided to move across the country to purchase a home! We will be taking in my wife's two siblings and couldn't well do so while living in an apartment.

Tank was broken down, but worked great to the very end. Additionally, I intend to use the same concept on a larger tank in the new home once we finish some necessary remodeling.

Hardware on the stand is standard countersunk machine screws. Both top and bottom panels are 0.5" acrylic in which I drilled / countersunk the holes once received.

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, were I to do it over I would have a local glass shop cut some 0.25" glass panels. The kit worked as expected but I never have good luck with acrylic / glass / silicone.

Indeed there has been a major update, though likely not what you wanted. My wife and I decided to move across the country to purchase a home! We will be taking in my wife's two siblings and couldn't well do so while living in an apartment.

Tank was broken down, but worked great to the very end. Additionally, I intend to use the same concept on a larger tank in the new home once we finish some necessary remodeling.

Hardware on the stand is standard countersunk machine screws. Both top and bottom panels are 0.5" acrylic in which I drilled / countersunk the holes once received.

Well sorry to hear you had to tear it down, but thanks for the update. I will definitely be referring back to this discussion for my project idea. I intend to build a nano cube with minimal hardware inside the tank and maybe even aquascaping glass lily pipes for a minimalist aesthetic.

I might build an upstream sump to hang on the wall above and behind the tank, or drill the tank bottom as you did for this setup.

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sorry to hear you had to tear it down, but thanks for the update. I will definitely be referring back to this discussion for my project idea. I intend to build a nano cube with minimal hardware inside the tank and maybe even aquascaping glass lily pipes for a minimalist aesthetic.

I might build an upstream sump to hang on the wall above and behind the tank, or drill the tank bottom as you did for this setup.
Interesting! I would very much enjoy following along.

rhizotron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! I would very much enjoy following along.

I built a double shelf for a set of 6G bookshelf tanks (works in progress) in 80/20 and I really like how it turned out. Ordering from tnutz the metal parts were less than a hundred dollars and then I just had to cut some additional plastic pieces. I like the idea of a nano cube on something similar, but as a vertical stand....

30-I-23-Cave-Environment-I.jpg

22-I-23-Plastic-Beach-IV.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back