Made a huge mistake, Ammonia burn.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a yellow tang in QT that I bought 2 weeks ago. I set up the 29 gallon QT tank a month previously and uses some media from my main DT to help along the cycle. I added food and tested every day. The initial ammonia spike happened then every thing seemed to have flattened out. I did a 50% water change before adding him and added a Seachem Ammonia alert. I tested again a week later and ammonia was at 0, nitrate was at .2 so I did a 20% water change. A few days ago I noticed the one of the tangs eyes was clouding up and he was being super aggressive to his reflection to the glass. Ammonia alert did not show any signs of ammonia. I should have retested. 3 days ago he got significantly worse and I tested the water and according to my test it was at 4ppm.I've added prime every day since and I've done 50% water changes every day for the last 3 days and I do not think he is going to make it. The other eye has now clouded and I don't think he can even see food to eat anymore.

His fins are slowly dissolving away and its clear he has burns on his body. Is there anything else I can do besides water changes in attempt to save this guy. I don't think he's going to make it.

eric.tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try some sort of stress coat to try and get a slime coat back on him? Also for food, you could get some long tweezers/forceps and hold some frozen food or seaweed directly in front of the fish. Yellow tangs are actually pretty tough fish. If you can get it eating again, keep the water clean, it “may” pull through.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's strange that your ammonia alert badge is not working. I've used many in the past and they have been reliable.

Is this a new badge or an old one?

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

This may not be the smartest idea: but maybe take a chance and add him to your display- get him out of the toxic ammonia water.

Not sure what’s worst - loosing the fish or risking illness in main display ...

But if you observed for two weeks and only issue was ammonia burn, I personally may take the chance.. but I’m no expert and may not follow all the typical rules... so take my advise with a grain of salt.....

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's strange that your ammonia alert badge is not working. I've used many in the past and they have been reliable.

Is this a new badge or an old one?

If the ammonia badge was wet then allowed to dry- I’ve had them stop working before.. some have worked some stopped once they dried out and got wet again. .. just food for thought..

OP
OP
MarshallB

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice. In 25 minutes since I made this thread he went from swimming around to laying down on its side with his breathing slowing. I caught the ammonia spike too late and asked for help too late. Ammonia alert has never moved off 0. My mistake for trusting it. I just can't believe ammonia spiked so high in 4 days with 1 fish and extremely light feedings.

I should have immediately put him in bucket of fresh mixed water till the tank was under control.

I've never lost a fish to ammonia in all my years of keeping fish. It's a terrible feeling losing a fish to something so easily prevented. Kicker is he probably would have been just fine going straight into the DT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a yellow tang in QT that I bought 2 weeks ago. I set up the 29 gallon QT tank a month previously and uses some media from my main DT to help along the cycle. I added food and tested every day. The initial ammonia spike happened then every thing seemed to have flattened out. I did a 50% water change before adding him and added a Seachem Ammonia alert. I tested again a week later and ammonia was at 0, nitrate was at .2 so I did a 20% water change. A few days ago I noticed the one of the tangs eyes was clouding up and he was being super aggressive to his reflection to the glass. Ammonia alert did not show any signs of ammonia. I should have retested. 3 days ago he got significantly worse and I tested the water and according to my test it was at 4ppm.I've added prime every day since and I've done 50% water changes every day for the last 3 days and I do not think he is going to make it. The other eye has now clouded and I don't think he can even see food to eat anymore.

His fins are slowly dissolving away and its clear he has burns on his body. Is there anything else I can do besides water changes in attempt to save this guy. I don't think he's going to make it.
Oddly, ammonia removers become less effective when dosed over multiple days. Also, some test kits cannot differentiate between ammonia bound up with the ammonia remover and free, toxic ammonia. What is the pH of the tank?
Jay

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice. In 25 minutes since I made this thread he went from swimming around to laying down on its side with his breathing slowing. I caught the ammonia spike too late and asked for help too late. Ammonia alert has never moved off 0. My mistake for trusting it. I just can't believe ammonia spiked so high in 4 days with 1 fish and extremely light feedings.

I should have immediately put him in bucket of fresh mixed water till the tank was under control.

I've never lost a fish to ammonia in all my years of keeping fish. It's a terrible feeling losing a fish to something so easily prevented. Kicker is he probably would have been just fine going straight into the DT.

I would put him in main display and see if he makes it.

Sorry for your troubles. Don’t beat tour self up my friend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back