Mag deflated after meal

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed my mag a 1/4 piece of uncooked defrosted shrimp about three days ago and ever since then it’s deflated twice. It was about a month since I last feed it. Any chance it was just a bad piece of shrimp or just normal behavior? I have had this mag for three years and it’s never acted like this…thought???

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you had a duplicate thread that I responded to, has it been deleted?

Check to see if your frozen shrimp has a preservative called STPP. I had a similar incident with my mag and I blame it on STPP. Fortunately it recovered a few days later. If you can, stick to either wild caught shrimp that's simply frozen without additives or feed frozen mysis.

Pillahump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp could have contained STPP if it wasn't wild caught and the anemone is reacting to it. When feeding anemone I made sure that I always feed wild caught items. (Salmon, swordfish, shrimp, cod, etc etc)

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar reaction from my Magnifica when I fed it some store bought seafood. Was on deaths door for weeks. There have been reports of bacteria from seafood infecting the anemone. I never feed mine anymore and it does just fine.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp could have contained STPP if it wasn't wild caught and the anemone is reacting to it. When feeding anemone I made sure that I always feed wild caught items. (Salmon, swordfish, shrimp, cod, etc etc)
Wild caught shrimp can also contain STPP. You'll need to read the list of ingredients to make sure it doesn't contain any preservatives.

Here's an example:

https://martinsfoods.com/groceries/...hell-on-21-25-ct-per-lb-frozen-32-oz-pkg.html

Ingredients​

Shrimp, Water, Sodium Tripolyphosphate (To Retain Moisture) Sodium Bisulfite.

Pillahump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very good to know! I had no idea it could still be present in wild caught
I had no idea, too! I assumed since it was wild caught shrimp it didn't contain anything other than shrimp and ice/water. Apparently STPP also plumps up the shrimp allowing them to hold more water--which means they're heavier--and that ultimately means we're paying more for water weight than actual shrimp. Sneaky. :confounded-face:

OP
OP
Paleozoic_reefer

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mag is back to normal. Regarding the shrimp, I typically buy raw wild caught shrimp in shell. I de-shell the shrimp and soak in RODI for a few minutes then begin to cut into quarter size pieces and freeze in a flat sheet for easy removal for feeding. STPP is always something I’ve been concerned about and the reason I stopped buying bagged raw shrimp. Thanks for everyone’s two-cents!!!☺️

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back