Mag Dropping Recently

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

having an issues with my mag dropping in the past two weeks. Usually it’s around 1400 because that is where my saltwater when mixed comes up as. I have a 10 gallon nuvo fusion that’s been doing well but I noticed some recession on my hammer coral (tissue wise) and I’m trying to fix the issue.

Alk is 9.0 where it always is
Calcium is always at 440-450
pH is at 8.2
Nitrate is between 25-30ppm
Phosphate: usually is at .01 but i have been doing my best to keep it at .03-.04

i have been dosing Neophos once a week. Only 2 to 3 drops after i do my weekly one gallon water change. I feel since I have been adding the Neophos… that my mag is declining. Last week it was at 1365 and today it’s not at 1290. I just mixed up some fresh saltwater and tested it and my mag came out to 1410 so i know it’s not my test kit.

could dosing neophos once a week be the issue with my Mag all of a sudden dropping the way it is?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually not. Very little. I wonder if I’m going to have to start dosing it.
You may be on the verge of a bumper crop of coralline. My magnesium was just getting sucked up left, right and center for the longest time. Everything is purple...

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be on the verge of a bumper crop of coralline. My magnesium was just getting sucked up left, right and center for the longest time. Everything is purple...
What did you do in order to keep it where you wanted it at? Do you dose mag now?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easier to rang magnesium with multiple tests, because of the accuracy of magnesium tests, if using salifert draw the syringe to 1ml the reagent @ 8 ml's for every test the value may not be exact but from test to test preformed the same every time, try to notice a trend. Then when the trend is noticed pick a range in the middle as to not be to high or low.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear in mind that real magnesium consumption is not more than about 1/10th of the calcium consumption and is rarely more than 1-2 ppm per day.

Anything much above that is test error or salinity changes.

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easier to rang magnesium with multiple tests, because of the accuracy of magnesium tests, if using salifert draw the syringe to 1ml the reagent @ 8 ml's for every test the value may not be exact but from test to test preformed the same every time, try to notice a trend. Then when the trend is noticed pick a range in the middle as to not be to high or low.
That’s correct. I do use salifert. I pull the syringe to 1 and the reagent is at 8.5 every single time. I know some salifert test need for it to stop at 8.5 while some don’t.

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bear in mind that real magnesium consumption is not more than about 1/10th of the calcium consumption and is rarely more than 1-2 ppm per day.

Hmmm interesting. I’m going to test my salinity today. I never have had to but I’ll see. I feel pretty spot on with it because my water changes… i test the water before adding it into my tank. It’s a pain but well worth it. I’ll try the mag test again on my display tank. Hopefully it was just an issue then. We shall see.

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting. I have a 40g tank that requires 1ml of calcium a day but 10ml of mag.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I have a 40g tank that requires 1ml of calcium a day but 10ml of mag.

Assuming you mean my diy recipes, that’s not offsetting consumption. Might be offsetting water changes with new salt water that doesn’t match your target.

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...think u just confused me there. I keep my mag around 1500. Never tested my newly made RS BB salt for mag but when I first set up my doser I tested everything daily for a month. I do 25% water changes every week and 10mls is what keeps it at 1500.

Ps. Sorry for the sidetrack!!!!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s correct. I do use salifert. I pull the syringe to 1 and the reagent is at 8.5 every single time. I know some salifert test need for it to stop at 8.5 while some don’t.
Yeah I've seen 8.5 but not always easy, I find that it likes to get to 8ml pretty easily.

I find it easier to do my test the same every time weather at 8 or 8.5 then notice the trend, its a large range for mag and not so necessary to be spot on and our testing will never be "spot" on anyway

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...think u just confused me there. I keep my mag around 1500. Never tested my newly made RS BB salt for mag but when I first set up my doser I tested everything daily for a month. I do 25% water changes every week and 10mls is what keeps it at 1500.

Ps. Sorry for the sidetrack!!!!

1500 ppm magnesium is pretty high and is much higher than Red Sea claims for their blue bucket salt mix at 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264) which is 1290 ppm.

Thus, those additions of yours are offsetting the salt mix water changes.

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1500 ppm magnesium is pretty high and is much higher than Red Sea claims for their blue bucket salt mix at 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264) which is 1290 ppm.

Thus, those additions of yours are offsetting the salt mix water changes.
My blue bucket gives me a 1410 every time. I wish it was a bit more consistent to what it shares that it is supposed to be at which is 1290 as you shared. Calcium is always spot on though.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue bucket gives me a 1410 every time. I wish it was a bit more consistent to what it shares that it is supposed to be at which is 1290 as you shared. Calcium is always spot on though.

Might be Red Sea does not make what they claim, or your mag test is off, or the salinity is higher than 35 ppt.

All are quite possible.

Here's where they make the mag claim (click the picture to read it better):

1652732028216.png

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just did a water change. As i mentioned yesterday, my mag is at 1410 with my new water that I’m adding into the tank which is 1 gallon. I just checked my mag 4 hours after doing the water change… it’s sharing I’m at 1275. Yesterday it’s was at 1290.

this is kinda driving me bonkers on why it’s doing this. Salinity is at 1.024. Little low but i don’t think enough to throw it off like this.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back