Mag issues

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used the red sea foundation magnesium test kit and used all of the titration solution and it didn't turn blue. What does this mean? it's a evo 13.5. 1 year old. I have tons of corals in it (27) none of the coral seem affected( yet) do I need to start dosing? Both my calcium and alk are down from their normal range.
cal 349
alk 179
phos 0.11

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the chart, that would indicate a magnesium level of over 1600. I would try running the test again (maybe twice) to rule anything out and maybe take a sample to a LFS dor testing.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea kit seems to have issues more often than other mag kits that folks use.
I have an Aquafost magnesium kit I occasionally test against - and the Red Sea (mine at least) doesn't vary much from the Aquaforest.

OP
OP
iamahab

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the chart, that would indicate a magnesium level of over 1600. I would try running the test again (maybe twice) to rule anything out and maybe take a sample to a LFS dor testing.
Unfortunately due to time constraints I can not make it to my lfs any time soon. My lfs isn't very local.I tested it two times before I came to r2r. What are some of the signs of having that high of meg? What should I be looking for?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately due to time constraints I can not make it to my lfs any time soon. My lfs isn't very local.I tested it two times before I came to r2r. What are some of the signs of having that high of meg? What should I be looking for?

1600 ppm is likely ok without issue, but at some point snails are reported to become lethargic.

What salt mix are you using and what is magnesium in it? Unless you dosed a lit, magnesium will be very close to what’s in the salt mix.

OP
OP
iamahab

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1600 ppm is likely ok without issue, but at some point snails are reported to become lethargic.

What salt mix are you using and what is magnesium in it? Unless you dosed a lit, magnesium will be very close to what’s in the salt mix.
Red sea pro mixed salinity 34,mag 1350, sps salinity 35 , mag 1390

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back