Mag splitting or time to Cipro? Pull it or leave it?

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This yellow tip Mag has been rock solid for 6 months. A few days ago it started an odd periodic gaping but remained mostly inflated, which I didn't think too much about as I fed it a bit heavy a few days prior and it was expelling some waste during the gaping. But the gaping was an elongated gaping, not the full wide open circumferential gaping and deflation typically seen during a Mag's demise.
Today I came home from work and found it in this position. The tissue between the two 'mouths' is getting very thin. And I believe there could be another section that is thinning meaning a possible 3 way split. The foot is still very firmly attached to the rock.
Should I give it a few more days to see what happens or start quarantine and Cipro treatment tonight.

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote unhappy. Splits see a flatter posture but not flaccid and before a split I usually see the tentacles start arranging themselves into distinct radial shapes where the multiple new anemones are basically foreshadowed. I would give it a day and if it still is deflated I would get worried. If it is splitting and you move it to treat it I doubt the clones survive.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my Magnifica split, I had multiple Magnifica splits during the last 25 years, it looks unhappy then spread longer, deflated and the mouth got elongated. Then I start to see a hole in the foot, I saw rock though the mouth, the hole elongated and enlarge and the anemone split in 2. Never had one split into three.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply guys!
I decided to give the full tank a dose of cipro last night. Turned off the lights, skimmer, and carbon filter over night.
This is how it looked at 7:30 this morning. Not splitting as I'd initially thought.

Attachments

• 20230823_074238.jpg
    20230823_074238.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 47

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer that it wasn't splitting.

I haven't heard of dosing the whole tank with cipro. It sounds pretty crazy to me! Would you have to do a full tank cipro treatment for 7 days then?

I decided to give the full tank a dose of cipro last night. Turned off the lights, skimmer, and carbon filter over night.
This is how it looked at 7:30 this morning. Not splitting as I'd initially thought.

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please stop using human important ABx like this. Contributing to resistance and disrupting the biome of your tanks with no real clue what you're doing.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good move ..I've treated DT's before with no ill results whatsoever..

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please stop using human important ABx like this. Contributing to resistance and disrupting the biome of your tanks with no real clue what you're doing.
Hmmm... this sounds kinda harsh.

You may want to check the ingredients of aquarium treatments commonly sold at the LFS and online. Chemiclean comes to mind.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's crazy that it recovered so quickly.

However, I'm wondering if it was actually the Cipro or it just wasn't happy and was able to expel whatever was bothering it. Cipro takes days to work its magic.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's crazy that it recovered so quickly.

However, I'm wondering if it was actually the Cipro or it just wasn't happy and was able to expel whatever was bothering it. Cipro takes days to work its magic.
Unfortunately, it hasn't fully recovered. Its back to a partially deflated and gaping posture. I may have to quarantine this weekend.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... this sounds kinda harsh.

You may want to check the ingredients of aquarium treatments commonly sold at the LFS and online. Chemiclean comes to mind.
Cipro is an antibiotic and in some cases requires a prescription, chemiclean is not. Extra thought and correct procedures should he expressed. While a little harsh, they weren't far off.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro is an antibiotic and in some cases requires a prescription, chemiclean is not. Extra thought and correct procedures should he expressed. While a little harsh, they weren't far off.

I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll cut to the chase. Many believe that Chemiclean contains erythromycin cetyl sulfate (or some form of erythromycin) which is an antibiotic and typically requires a prescription, just like Cipro. However, the same precautions don't apply to Chemiclean for some reason.

My point is that extra thought should always be considered when handling antibiotics and frankly, many of the chemicals we use in our aquariums (calcium hydroxide, citric acid, etc.).

Most of the folks using Cipro to treat anemones are very responsible and understand the inherent risks. To assume that the OP had "no real clue what [they're] doing" just didn't sit right with me.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Both of you need to find something better to do with your lives...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of you need to find something better to do with your lives...
Dynamite drop in Monty. Good the see that broadcast school is really paying off.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latte and Jekyl- Thank you for your input and advice. I do not take the addition of Cipro lightly, nor do I abuse it.
Everyone else- Thank you for your support and replies!
Everyone, please play nice!

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the cipro stays in the display and is allowed to break down over time (it is light sensitive) before a water change is performed it should be fine. I don’t see how this “escapes” into the environment to allow human pathogenic bacteria to build a resistance to it.

With all of the still active antibiotics expelled through urine into our sewer systems, as well as all of the agriculture antibiotics used that are released into the environment, I don’t see how cipro contained in an aquarium is at the top of our list of concern.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the cipro stays in the display and is allowed to break down over time (it is light sensitive) before a water change is performed it should be fine. I don’t see how this “escapes” into the environment to allow human pathogenic bacteria to build a resistance to it.

With all of the still active antibiotics expelled through urine into our sewer systems, as well as all of the agriculture antibiotics used that are released into the environment, I don’t see how cipro contained in an aquarium is at the top of our list of concern.
My thoughts exactly. I give it a week to fully dissipate before water change. I only keep the lights and skimmer off for a day to allow for initial peak impact.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back