Magnesium and other trace elements.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be running a dastaco calcium reactor which runs at a ph of 6.0. Is this too low for two little fishies ReMag? If it is I will put the remag in a different reactor and use the enfluent ph to dissolve it.

How can I add other trace elements such as strontium, iron ect other then water changes and liquid supplements (as it could get expensive). @Randy Holmes-Farley Is there a diy trace element mix?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the specific pH is an issue. Both the magnesium carbonate (RE Mag) and the calcium carbonate will dissolve more quickly as the pH drops, and you usually want them to be delivered in an appropriate ratio.

Just to clarify a technical point, magnesium and strontium are nto trace elements. Trace elements are those present at verty low concentrations. Iron is a trace element.

I don't believe that iron will be supplied adequately by such media since it is not primarily consumed in a reef tank by deposition into skeletons, but rather into living tissues.

I personally do not believe that strontium levels are important in a typical reef tank.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back