Magnesium dosing question

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi whats the most of magnesium (ppm) you can raise in a reef system without shocking your system? Right now im dosing my mag with redsea liquid mag to raise it. I dose 100ml a day which is bringing it up roughly 25ppm per day. Wondering if i can up the amount of dosage or keep it like this and wait.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is to limit magnesium boosts to 25 ppm per day, but that is more out of concern for other impurities in the magnesium (metals and ammonia, for example) than the magnesium rise itself.

OP
OP
N

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh got it. Ill just wait it out and slowly let it raise then. Also since im raising the mag, should i be dosing cal and alk also? Or can i just be dosing mag by itself? I read somewhere there all correlate together.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh got it. Ill just wait it out and slowly let it raise then. Also since im raising the mag, should i be dosing cal and alk also? Or can i just be dosing mag by itself? I read somewhere there all correlate together.

What are your current values for all three?

OP
OP
N

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you need to raise it?

Be sure you are not overcorrecting a testing error result.
Around 200ppm. When i started dosing it was around 1100. I use the Apex trident to track my readings. And also used a redsea test kit to make sure it was correct. Even recalibrated the trident to make sure the reading was correct

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around 200ppm. When i started dosing it was around 1100. I use the Apex trident to track my readings. And also used a redsea test kit to make sure it was correct. Even recalibrated the trident to make sure the reading was correct

I’d be wary that the mag reading is not accurate.

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve lost some confidence in the trident calibration solution, so now I use a Hanna alk checker and an ICP test for calcium and magnesium to get “true” values. Once I get the ICP results I just run a trident calibration task and use my ICP readings as the truth source.

OP
OP
N

nycxdinorex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve lost some confidence in the trident calibration solution, so now I use a Hanna alk checker and an ICP test for calcium and magnesium to get “true” values. Once I get the ICP results I just run a trident calibration task and use my ICP readings as the truth source.
Yes my old calibration i tested the water myself and used those numbers as input for the trident calibration. I think i will send in an icp too and use those results as the calibration numbers

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi whats the most of magnesium (ppm) you can raise in a reef system without shocking your system? Right now im dosing my mag with redsea liquid mag to raise it. I dose 100ml a day which is bringing it up roughly 25ppm per day.
The Red Sea Foundation Manual suggests limiting the daily increase of Magnesium using their Supplement to 10ppm per day, regardless of the eventual Target. The reasons for not exceeding this daily increase are not specified: Supplement may have other Components, or the potential increase may not match the actual increase (precipitation/interaction) afterwards, if the suggested rates are greatly exceeded.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea Foundation Manual suggests limiting the daily increase of Magnesium using their Supplement to 10ppm per day, regardless of the eventual Target. The reasons for not exceeding this daily increase are not specified: Supplement may have other Components, or the potential increase may not match the actual increase (precipitation/interaction) afterwards, if the suggested rates are greatly exceeded.

FWIW, I don’t agree with Red Seas recommendation unless they provide an impure additive. There are no undesirable interactions or precipitation from raising magnesium more than 10 ppm in a day.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back