Magnesium Issues with testing...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is chewing it.

I disagree. There’s no sink for magnesium except for calcium carbonate deposition, and that isn’t more than 1/10th of the calcium decline.

There’s no magic unknown chemistry here.

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would have to do some math:
  • first establish current level of Magnesium by testing diluted sample ( let's say 50% dilution)
  • find out what is magnesium level in freshly mixed saltwater you want to use to do water changes
  • For example if Mg is very high, lets say over 2000ppm and your newly mixed saltwater Mg content is 1400ppm, than one water change of 20 gal ( for 120gal tank) would drop Mg to about 1900ppm, second water change of 20 gal would drop it to about 1816ppm and so on
oh thats genius to dilute and do math. my magnesium is off the charts. i think i misread the instructions it made it sound like 50mls would raise it up 50ppm but i think i accidently raised it up beyond 1700....not sure if thats gonna hurt corals or not...its only been a few days imma do another water change when i get home. ill do the dilution method you mentioned. i hope i dont kill my corals

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh thats genius to dilute and do math. my magnesium is off the charts. i think i misread the instructions it made it sound like 50mls would raise it up 50ppm but i think i accidently raised it up beyond 1700....not sure if thats gonna hurt corals or not...its only been a few days imma do another water change when i get home. ill do the dilution method you mentioned. i hope i dont kill my corals

Time for RMM;

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally i would not stop testing for mag. Mine gets depleted in my tank. And my testing is accurate
as i double check it with icp every couple months. Pretty sure it has something to do with pulling gobs of hair algae out of ATS every 10 days. Even with dosing all for reef and calcium rising and alk holding stable mag was going down pretty good. Can see a difference in my euphelia when mag starts to creep down.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally i would not stop testing for mag. Mine gets depleted in my tank. And my testing is accurate
as i double check it with icp every couple months. Pretty sure it has something to do with pulling gobs of hair algae out of ATS every 10 days. Even with dosing all for reef and calcium rising and alk holding stable mag was going down pretty good. Can see a difference in my euphelia when mag starts to creep down.

Some folks have noted a need for magnesium when using AFR. I do not think hair algae can do that, but growing coralline algae can.

Last edited:

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFR is not as completly balanced as they say but i think that would br hard to achieve for any company for every tank out there with all the variances.

Its possible its the corraline which i do have quite a bit of but the corresponding drop equates more to the amount of hair algae that comes out of my tank. Before i was dosing afr my icp's would come back low on almost everything. I started dosing captiv8 trace+ then moved to afr and still have to put a small amount of captiv8+, manganese and magnesium in my ato to keep up even with using AFR.

Last edited:

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFR is not as completly balanced as they say but i think that would br hard to achieve for any company for every tank out there with all the variances.

Its possible its the corraline which i do have quite a bit of but the corresponding drop equates more to the amount of hair algae that comes out of my tank. Before i was dosing afr my icp's would come back low on almost everything. I started dosing captiv8 trace+ then moved to afr and still have to put a small amount of captiv8+, manganese and magnesium in my ato to keep up even with using AFR.
I looked at their concentrations, the Magnesium supplement is quite diluted.
It’s likely that you’re adding just enough additional Magnesium to compensate for the coraline growth.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely. No all in one product can achieve it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back