OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shut your doser off . Start doing small water changes over the next few days . Mag will come down naturally over time but at 1700 you want to try to get it as close to 1400 or even 1500 and then wait for it to dissipate on its own from their
How big of a problem is it to my corals, invertebrates, and fish?

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a problem is it to my corals, invertebrates, and fish?

No issue for finned friends, some corals dont like elevated mag but yours will be fine

Snails can be sensitive but i cant remember which ones

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks normal for night time, maybe get a second opinon on that mag level, aka another kit (that isnt API)
What do you recommend. I might test it again with my Hanna checker.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calc is approaching the high side. Gonna need to get phos and nitrate up as well. As stated above you are probably gonna be alright. Just do the water changes and work on the other.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what i'd do is

1. Stop all dosing (which you have)
2. Start making some RO for a water change
3. Test again (maybe human error)

If its the same

4. Get another test kit (if its in the same range)
5. Test fresh made salt water with both kits
6. Do water change
7. Have a beer and watch the tank for fun :)

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what i'd do is

If its the same

6. Do water change
Sounds like a great plan!!!!

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All things considered Mag is probably the best to be elevated on! Just a little learning curve for dosing haha

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just begin the water changes now. No matter what it’ll be good for the tank. Like @Lemons said change then relax.
Problem is I don’t have a RO water maker. I have maybe 2 fresh gallons of saltwater.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what i'd do is

If its the same

6. Do water change
So now I am starting to think there is a problem with my Hanna checker. I did the first test and it was 1705 and now it is 1025. I also tested it yesterday and the day before and it was slowly increasing went from 1145 to 1280 and then to 1705 and now 1025. I will test one more time and make sure I do all things correctly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just tested my water tonight. My magnesium is 1705. That is really high right? Is that a problem? What should I do? Calcium was 443 and alkalinity was 9.0. I am using Hanna checkers.
While not an acceptable level, Ive seen 1600+ with no adverse effects. Before assuming means to lower, Take a water sample to an LFS that does not use Api kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours. High mag can affect delicate specimens like clams, snails and shrimps. If coral is not bleaching, you are likely ok. If so- mag may be affecting them.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not an acceptable level, Ive seen 1600+ with no adverse effects. Before assuming means to lower, Take a water sample to an LFS that does not use Api kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours. High mag can affect delicate specimens like clams, snails and shrimps. If coral is not bleaching, you are likely ok. If so- mag may be affecting them.
So now I am starting to think there is a problem with my Hanna checker. I did the first test and it was 1705 and now just did a second and it is 1025. I also tested it yesterday and the day before and it was slowly increasing went from 1145 to 1280 and then tonight 1705 and now 1025. I will test one more time and make sure I do all things correctly.

Corals look fine right now. My shrimp are still alive. I am not sure what do be looking for if the corals are not doing good.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So now I am starting to think there is a problem with my Hanna checker. I did the first test and it was 1705 and now just did a second and it is 1025. I also tested it yesterday and the day before and it was slowly increasing went from 1145 to 1280 and then tonight 1705 and now 1025. I will test one more time and make sure I do all things correctly.

Corals look fine right now. My shrimp are still alive. I am not sure what do be looking for if the corals are not doing good.
Assure vials are not scratched for Hanna test. Do the water sample bit mentioned and see whch reading from LFS is closer to your test results

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assure vials are not scratched for Hanna test. Do the water sample bit mentioned and see whch reading from LFS is closer to your test results
Just we tested it again with my Hanna checker and now got 1100. All different. Should I order a new Hanna checker

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back