Magnesium problem

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I'm not well versed in denitrifiers but I would think the release of co2 through denitirfication would have more of an impact on pH than the absence of O2. Taking a shot in the dark, I'm assuming a denitrifier is a chamber created to cause an anoxic zone for anaerobic bacteria to reduce nitrates to nitrogen and carbon dioxide. If that is the case, it is quite likely that aragonite and zeomag could very well dissolve within this area releasing caco3 and magnesium. If the denitrifier gets the pH as low as 6.7 then it would dissolve the media just the same as a ca reactor except in a calcium reactor you inject co2 to lower the pH. I'd be concerned about the consistency of a denitrifier to continually maintain the appropriate pH for dissolution of aragonite and you may then get varied results in it's ability to consistently release caco3 and mag. You would also then be limited in the effluent rate thus affecting it's ability to maintain appropriate levels within your water column. In all it would seem much easier to dose some mixed up mag flake or Tech M once a week.

I'm not sure why a denitrifier would lower alk levels if the pH inside them is low (must have something to do with the media inside of them utilizing caco3 molecules through the denitrification process). If the pH is low then it would dissolve aragonite thus releasing caco3. This would be an example of that rediculous marketing on aragonite bags actually being true!!! If there is an area that is anoxic, thus creating a zone of low pH through various metabolic processes, then the aragonite media will dissolve releasing caco3 ultimately raising alk levels which would in turn increase pH (even if pH is driven down by co2 levels, increasing alk would ultimately raise pH by increasing it's "potential" low end value). I guess I need to do some more research on denitrifiers to fully understand why it would lower an alk level.

Jeremy

OP
OP
B

brokereefman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Eric, that should give me time to make my mind up on getting zeo mag to place in my reactor.

Thanks Jeremy for all of your input on this....I do have another question for you, could you post what levels are coming out of your effulant?

Not that you have to test now, but what your last testing of effulant levels were.

Thanks
-Paul

Paul I will have your Tech-M by Friday at my house. Its the gallon jug of it :D

Eric

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Eric, that should give me time to make my mind up on getting zeo mag to place in my reactor.

Thanks Jeremy for all of your input on this....I do have another question for you, could you post what levels are coming out of your effulant?

Not that you have to test now, but what your last testing of effulant levels were.

Thanks
-Paul

I don't/didn't test my effluent levels. I'm curious why your asking though? If your looking for maximizing reactor efficiency there are many easy ways to maximize effluent concentration other than testing it, and adjusting things based on ca, alk, or mag readings. Anyway, I couldn't test my effluent even if I wanted to. I don't currently have an effluent rate. LOL!! I'm doing a bit of experimentation regarding comparison of growth rates in correlation to various means of calcium/alk supplementation. As of about 10 days ago I stopped my ca reactor and I'm now dosing kalk. This bit of experimentation will confirm or negate a theory I'm working on providing evidence for. It's a complicated project and I won't go into all the details here. If I still had the reactor running I'd be happy to do some testing for you but I don't have that opportunity right now. If I get the reactor up and running in the near future I'll do some testing and get back to you.

I did do some po4 testing on my effluent in the past and compared different media if your interested in that. It was surprising.

Jeremy

OP
OP
B

brokereefman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jeremy, no need to test it just for me but I would be interested in your po4 results:)

Hey Eric, yes I will, we can talk about it when I pick up the Tech-m:)

-Paul

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in the different Media and PO4 readings you got!!! maybe another thread on that to help spread the knowledge here :D

Eric

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Customcolor, I built that exact denitrator from that thread. I started in on page 5. It worked really well when I switched from a FOWLR(using tap water) to reef. My nitrates were over 180. The denitrator got them under 50 for me.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jlinzmaier here is some light reading for ya :squigglemouth: only 77 pages :wink:

Reef Central Online Community - DIY Sulfur Denitrator

Thanks Dave. Haven't read through it all yet, but wouldn't it be a bit easier to just dose a little vodka every day?? It will then decrease your phosphate as well as your nitrate.

In regards to the phosphate in ca reactor media, I did some thorough testing of the phosphate levels in my effluent when I was using coarse ARM and when I switched over to Gen-X. Essentially the Gen-X was far supperior as it had much less po4 that it released. From my reactor, the coarse ARM media contributed a net gain of 0.28mg/L and the Gen-X contributed a net gain of 0.03mg/l. Keep in mind this is a dose per liter of effluent and the total contribution to the tanks level is dependant on the effleunt rate. Ultimately, the total contribution of po4 from the ca reactor effluent (regardless of which media is used) in comparison to foods we feed is far less (unless your really cranking out the effluent at a high rate).

Here's a thread I started on the RC FVRC forum with all the details.
Reef Central Online Community - phosphate in ca reactor effluent

Jeremy

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul I have your Gallon of Tech-M At the house. I should be home most of tomorrow night and most of Satruday and all day Sunday. Should be 15 or so for the Tech-M

Eric

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back