Magnesium too high

cdare99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consistently have high mag despite not dosing it. When I do dose which is rarely it’s aqua forest 3 part which has Mag separate from alk and calcium, my level are mostly replenished by water changes from Red Sea pro salt. For the most part I read my mag levels 1400+ according to Red Sea test and it was this way for a long time. Alk and calcium levels are good and I don’t have a hard time maintaining them, do you think the test is just inaccurate?

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consistently have high mag despite not dosing it. When I do dose which is rarely it’s aqua forest 3 part which has Mag separate from alk and calcium, my level are mostly replenished by water changes from Red Sea pro salt. For the most part I read my mag levels 1400+ according to Red Sea test and it was this way for a long time. Alk and calcium levels are good and I don’t have a hard time maintaining them, do you think the test is just inaccurate?
It definitely could be magnesium levels at 1,400 or a non-issue some people intentionally keep high magnesium levels to try to help block out algae and cyanobacteria stuff like that

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Its your pro salt. High mag and alk levels.
Good rule of thumb is to always test a batch of your fresh salt mix bucket so you know what to expect after water changes.
Red sea will differ bucket to bucket also if its not mixed after letting it settle during shipping/moving.

But 1400 is just fine anyways.

What are your alk and cal levels when using the red sea coral pro salt?

I went from blue bucket to coral pro when i started keeping corals.
Until i needed to start dosing then the coral pro salt made it very hard to keep my alk where i wanted so switched back to blue bucket while dosing.

OP
OP
C

cdare99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk stays pretty steady in the 8 range, when I tested today I think it was 8.2. Calcium was 425 little higher than I thought it would be normally I have to dose that cause it goes down to the 395 range if I don’t do water change frequent enough. But I’ve been pretty steady every 2 weeks or so. I didn’t think high mag was a problem from what I read just wondering if anyone else has the problem not occurring from dosing. I’ll have to test my salt next time. I know some like the blue bucket more to keep steady levels for alk since it’s lower than the pro, but I don’t really do sticks or any sps so that isn’t too much of a concern for me with small swings occurring.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back