Magnetic glass cleaners... Do you leave it in your tank?

Magnetic Glass Cleaner - Do you Leave them in the Tank?

• Yes - I leave them in

Votes: 519 70.8%
  • No - I remove them after each use

Votes: 170 23.2%
  • Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't

Votes: 44 6.0%

• Total voters

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys / gals leave the inner part of your magnetic glass cleaners in the tank? I have always left mine in, but I pulled it out the other day and it stunk really bad like rotten eggs. It's probably been close to a year since I've pulled it out lol. I'm thinking I need to be cleaning it a little more often

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave mine in the tank. I can't remember the last time I pulled the inside magnet out. It's completely covered with coralline algae.
My concern from leaving them in is if the inside magnets begin to breakdown and rust from being exposed to water. In the past I've had one that did. As far as I know it didn't affect anything.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just smelled mine out of curiosity (magfloat), no smell at all. It's been in the tank since 2006. I do of course clean it roughly once a year. The outside is actually wearing out more than the inside. Soon time for a replacement.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just smelled mine out of curiosity (magfloat), no smell at all. It's been in the tank since 2006. I do of course clean it roughly once a year. The outside is actually wearing out more than the inside. Soon time for a replacement.
Same here, mine is getting worn down, just to lazy to change it out lol

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to leave mine in the tank until my Neptune Probe Holder busted open and rusted.
Now I don't trust magnetic items underwater long term unless it's completely sealed like Vertex magnets.
If it has a seam, I won't leave it in the tank.

batfish5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Flipper Nano and leave it in one of the upper corners of the tank. Usually I'll soak it in vinegar over night once I see a bit of algae build up and on it.
Then wouldnt it be easier to just take it out ,dry it off ,until ready to use again the next time,how hard is that? you people must be joking ,right?

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then wouldnt it be easier to just take it out ,dry it off ,until ready to use again the next time,how hard is that? you people must be joking ,right?
It's not even a question about how easy or hard it is to get out of the tank . It's a question of whether or not leaving it in the tank could pose any potential risks to our reefs. But we really do appreciate your genius there buddy.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take mine out every time. I place it on top of my overflow box. (I have a screen over them to keep fish out)

Always have out of habit. Don't like seeing it in the DT.

albyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to take mine out because I have similar obsessive compulsive tendencies. And I figured the algae will breakdown at the same rate as the tank it's not like it will build up.... but my sailfin blenny perches on it to watch the tank
d9db2ae4ace119b3d0090bda3a6ab824.jpg
7452aae456ac82fe808018ffed651d45.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back