Magnetic glass cleaners... Do you leave it in your tank?

Magnetic Glass Cleaner - Do you Leave them in the Tank?

• Yes - I leave them in

Votes: 519 70.8%
  • No - I remove them after each use

Votes: 170 23.2%
  • Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't

Votes: 44 6.0%

• Total voters

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always take it out, I only need to use it really only once a week, never even thought of just leaving it in not sure why I would anyways.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always take it out. Don't like the looks of it in there and how nasty it looks after a while.

I know this is a little different but I had a magnetic nori clip that the inside magnet cover leaked and did cause some stress to my SPS. Fortunately I caught it before any significant losses. Since then, no magnets in side my tank that don't have to be.

EleMental

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mag Float has been in about a year now...I admittedly just took it out to smell it [emoji23]

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see any effects of leaving the cleaner in the DT. I leave mine in and pull the cleaner out to clean it or change the metal blade. I would say if Coraline started to grow on the cleaner, that might scratch the glass:)

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave mine in because I use it to clean the front glass every other day...I like the glass to be C L E A N. When it's not in use it's tucked away on the right hand side of the tank in the bottom right corner..that way it can't be seen.

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave mine in the tank all the time.

If you were getting a rotten egg smell I would suggest that some water has gotten into it and stagnated and is now giving off hydrogen sulfide.
I meant to reply to this a week ago but got side tracked [emoji23]
I don't think water is getting inside because whenever I take it out no water leaks out and I gave it the shake test to see if I hear water and nothing. I do have a Po4 issue right now. So I'm having to clean a lite film off the glass daily and sometimes twice a day. I'm wondering if that lite film is building up between the cleaner and glass causing that smell.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the Flipper because of the peninsula design - allows me to easily get to all three sides. I just leave it in as I use it at least every other day. It's one of my wife's pet peeves - no dirty glass!!! Never had an issue leaving it in the tank.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We leave ours in. Tucked in the corner. Our tank is not pristine in any way.

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, someone above mentioned that the rotten egg smell could be hydrogen sulfide being built up which leads me to ask how damaging that could be?

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the "Flipper" which has the metal blade on it. I had it start to rust from leaving it in previously. Replaced the blade and now I always remove it. Looks better with it out anyways.

Studjunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a room divider so I keep one cleaner on each side... I had to start keeping a third one in my tank because my clownfish decided it was the perfect place for them to lay eggs

26E4CC3F-D4C7-440B-B53F-0E25B0C38395.jpeg

Fishmanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave it out as it is an eyesore and also taking a risk leaving it in

Back