Magnetic glass cleaners... Do you leave it in your tank?

Magnetic Glass Cleaner - Do you Leave them in the Tank?

• Yes - I leave them in

Votes: 519 70.8%
  • No - I remove them after each use

Votes: 170 23.2%
  • Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't

Votes: 44 6.0%

• Total voters

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time mine goes out the tank is when I clean/rinse it once every 3 months or so.

It has a perfect spot on the right corner bottom of my tank where it blends in with the rocks :)

IMG_2066.jpg

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it cant rust , magnets are non ferous
I've had magnets from powerheads as well as magnetic cleaners corrode over time. The inner materials of neodymium magnets are only protected by the nickel and copper coatings or whatever element is used. All it takes is a chip or scratch and the magnet will slowly or maybe rapidly corrode from being exposed to the atmosphere. If I remember, correct me if I'm wrong, neodymium magnets are made from or use several different alloys and elements in the process, boron, iron, cobolt, calcium, samarium cobalt and others.
Maybe your talking about ferrite magnets which are less prone to corrosion depending on which elements are used in combination to iron oxide.
Either way my concern was more about the magnets in the cleaners becoming exposed, corroding and not knowing what elements are being leached into the tank. Different brands of magnetic cleaners use different types of magnets.
They are likely neodymium magnets (they do contain iron...in most cases) and would likely corrode if exposed directly.
Exactly.

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just going to order a flipper and call it a day. Do you guys think the Nano would be okay for a 40b?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to use mag floats, glue deteriorates over time if you leave it in, and if you let it get sand in the velcro, it will scratch the heck out of your tank. Learned that lesson, and quit leaving them in the tank.

Bought a flipper a couple years ago, was very happy with it, but noted after about a year's use, it was tearing up the silicone on the tank corners. Never left it in the tank, since it had a glued on velcro sheet, similar to the mag float.

Won a Tunze as a raffle prize at a frag meet last year. Probably wouldn't have bought one, seem a bit pricey. I'll probably keep buying them now... they're worth it. Doesn't scratch, doesn't tear up silicone seals, effective, unobtrusive, easy to clean... Best magnet I've ever owned. No velcro, no exposed glue, no metal... no reason to remove it from the tank.

My peninsula has some areas around the wall where it can hide pretty effectively.

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to use mag floats, glue deteriorates over time if you leave it in, and if you let it get sand in the velcro, it will scratch the heck out of your tank. Learned that lesson, and quit leaving them in the tank.

Bought a flipper a couple years ago, was very happy with it, but noted after about a year's use, it was tearing up the silicone on the tank corners. Never left it in the tank, since it had a glued on velcro sheet, similar to the mag float.

Won a Tunze as a raffle prize at a frag meet last year. Probably wouldn't have bought one, seem a bit pricey. I'll probably keep buying them now... they're worth it. Doesn't scratch, doesn't tear up silicone seals, effective, unobtrusive, easy to clean... Best magnet I've ever owned. No velcro, no exposed glue, no metal... no reason to remove it from the tank.

My peninsula has some areas around the wall where it can hide pretty effectively.
What do they use instead of Velcro

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do they use instead of Velcro
The Tunze cleaners have two replaceable blades, a narrow one on one end, and a wider one on the other end. Those are the only two contact points inside the tank. Outside the tank, there are plastic glide points that correspond to the blades.

Mine has plastic blades. I understand they offer stainless ones, but after tearing up silicone with my Flipper, I'll stick to the plastic.

tunze.jpg

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take my flipper out. I think it will last longer without sitting in the water for an extended period, plus I like to make sure there are no sand bits on it...I scratched my last tank with one. Also for the aesthetic.

budau18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tunze strong, I left it in the tank and within one year the magnet was cracked open and rusted. It was to the point the scraper didn't touch the glass cause the rusted magnet had swollen so bad. So now with my new tunze I will always take it out or any other magnet cleaner

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to leave my mighty magnet covered in the algae bag in as they have always been fantastic for my acrylic tank...

until some dotard decided to walk up to my tank while I was not around and scrape a snail across the front.

Thankfully they make nice sanding kits too, now the magnet comes out every single time.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always take mine out, well sometimes it stays in for a day or two but always comes out to be rinsed and cleaned.
I used to just leave them in for years and have also noticed that they will not only get debris and sand between the velcro and glass but calcifying critters will find their way onto the cleaner between the glass and mag cleaner which will scratch the crud out of your tank.
Most times they are small or not noticed nor are the scratches they make until you drain the water down and freak out about how many scratches you see or how hazy the glass is due to the tiny scuffs/ scratches.
It does not take long for some small critter to make a home on and between my cleaner and glass so I will never make that mistake leaving one in any tank I have. Lesson learned.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.5%
Back