Magnetic glass cleaners... Do you leave it in your tank?

Magnetic Glass Cleaner - Do you Leave them in the Tank?

• Yes - I leave them in

Votes: 519 70.8%
  • No - I remove them after each use

Votes: 170 23.2%
  • Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't

Votes: 44 6.0%

• Total voters

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, someone above mentioned that the rotten egg smell could be hydrogen sulfide being built up which leads me to ask how damaging that could be?

Well, not to be an alarmist or anything, but hydrogen sulfide in a tank usually means something rotting in a deep sand bed or other anaerobic area. When that gets free into your water, it can be highly toxic to virtually everything in your tank. A person can smell it before it gets to that point, typically, so if you're really smelling that rotten egg smell, might be something to be concerned about. RHF has done an article on H2S: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/rhf/index.php

I leave two Flippers in my aquarium. And two powerheads. And a Gyre. And relatively little sand for things to die and rot in.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I meant to reply to this a week ago but got side tracked [emoji23]
I don't think water is getting inside because whenever I take it out no water leaks out and I gave it the shake test to see if I hear water and nothing. I do have a Po4 issue right now. So I'm having to clean a lite film off the glass daily and sometimes twice a day. I'm wondering if that lite film is building up between the cleaner and glass causing that smell.

Jeez I hope not. If it smells like rotten egg it's likely H2S and that's not good.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always take it out. Don't like the looks of it in there and how nasty it looks after a while.

I know this is a little different but I had a magnetic nori clip that the inside magnet cover leaked and did cause some stress to my SPS. Fortunately I caught it before any significant losses. Since then, no magnets in side my tank that don't have to be.
I’ve had the wet side of the sensor for my smart ATO rust out a couple times. Obviously not as water proof as it should be.

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well out the tank it is. I I don't think the smell has anything to do with my sand bed. About a month ago I had to move my tank and I completely removed the sand and cleaned it out severely outside in the yard following Melvs videos.

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said the smell is strictly on glass cleaner itself

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a room divider so I keep one cleaner on each side... I had to start keeping a third one in my tank because my clownfish decided it was the perfect place for them to lay eggs

26E4CC3F-D4C7-440B-B53F-0E25B0C38395.jpeg

Try a Flipper. Gives you both pad and blade and easily makes the jump from panel to panel. You can take it out after use if you so desire. Just a suggestion and alternative to 3 cleaners. Only downside is they don't float!

curiouser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to take mine out because I have similar obsessive compulsive tendencies. And I figured the algae will breakdown at the same rate as the tank it's not like it will build up.... but my sailfin blenny perches on it to watch the tank
d9db2ae4ace119b3d0090bda3a6ab824.jpg
7452aae456ac82fe808018ffed651d45.jpg
Handsome little fellow.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys / gals leave the inner part of your magnetic glass cleaners in the tank? I have always left mine in, but I pulled it out the other day and it stunk really bad like rotten eggs. It's probably been close to a year since I've pulled it out lol. I'm thinking I need to be cleaning it a little more often

I ALWAYS take mine out! I have the Algae Free scraper, which use extremely strong magnets (also have a Mag-Float)". Not to mention after scraping all of the algae off I like to clean it so the algae doesn't die or spread in the tank, causing more of an issue.

Then you have the issue where some of the magnets rust. My brother did a Triton test because his Acro's were dying and found a super heavy concentration of Nickel in the tank because the magnets from the frag racks were rusting underneath the coating.

So why chance it? ;)

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave mine in the tank. I can't remember the last time I pulled the inside magnet out. It's completely covered with coralline algae.
My concern from leaving them in is if the inside magnets begin to breakdown and rust from being exposed to water. In the past I've had one that did. As far as I know it didn't affect anything.
it cant rust , magnets are non ferous

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm? I have had a Tunze magnet rust/corrode into 100s of pieces.

Also, I leave my portals on my tank all the time. Everyone (especially kids) loves to look through them.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to leave mine in the tank. Then I decided to check it and the magnet and such inside was severely corroded. I removed it from the tank and after about a week, the corals began to rebound. Ever since I have always removed anything with a non-ceramic magnet in it. The powerhead magnets are typically ceramic magnets.

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to leave mine in the tank. Then I decided to check it and the magnet and such inside was severely corroded. I removed it from the tank and after about a week, the corals began to rebound. Ever since I have always removed anything with a non-ceramic magnet in it. The powerhead magnets are typically ceramic magnets.
I'm gonna have to check on my Ice Cap 3k Gyre. I just noticed that the sides of the magnet are not covered

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna have to check on my Ice Cap 3k Gyre. I just noticed that the sides of the magnet are not covered

I have the XF150 and I have not had any issues. I believe it uses the ceramic ferrite magnets. Not sure if that would change with the latest models.

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out! This, by the way, has been a long standing pet peeve of mine...tantamount to leaving dirty underwear on the floor. Harrumph!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to leave mine in my tank all the time, until I realized that is how I scratched my glass in three places. Sand and debris had gotten in between the velcro and the glass. Since then, they always come out after each use. Plus, they get rinsed in fresh water each time and I even change the pads on each half a couple times a year. No more scratches after I started that routine. That's just me though.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back