Magnetic Panels for Stand

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new build is almost here and it will have a steel stand and I would appreciate any ones help on how to go about to make custom magnetic panels for my stand. A good friend of my makes and installs custom cabinets and he will be making the panels just need help/ideas on how to make them magnetic. Any and all info is helpful TYI.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build and used magnetic panels before. They sound great. They can be useful when moving big things into your tank like a sump.

But for daily maintenance, they are a pain. It is much easier to just open and close a door than it is to remove a panel, put it aside and then put the panel back when you are done. It seems like a small thing but I have a refugium and small frag tank within my stand so I open and close the cabinets often.

It got so annoying that I replaced the magnetic panels with regular ones.

OP
OP
izzyishh

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build and used magnetic panels before. They sound great. They can be useful when moving big things into your tank like a sump.

But for daily maintenance, they are a pain. It is much easier to just open and close a door than it is to remove a panel, put it aside and then put the panel back when you are done. It seems like a small thing but I have a refugium and small frag tank within my stand so I open and close the cabinets often.

It got so annoying that I replaced the magnetic panels with regular ones.
I can see this as a hassle but I have a toddler that manages to open everything!

Also I will have access form left, right and the front so what ever makes it look seamless and more athletically please I will do also im 6'2 so every inch i can get helps when working under the tank/stand. post pictures if you have some please

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any tips or videos or links on this sounds good to me!

There are some pics in my build thread but my panels are pvc. Depending on how thick your panels are you could use a screw to hold the magnet on also.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used these from Rockler,

While they are stainless, a coat of paint will help. Mine rusted somewhat after a while.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back