Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End of day 1.

I periodically removed some waste that the nem expelled throughout the day:

5D137CC5-352C-4A0F-828A-D0705B222443.jpeg

It began inflating towards the end of the day. Here’s how it looks now:

62B992D7-CF35-42AB-89F9-A6A1876A105A.jpeg

It's looking a lot better. I'll do a water change and add another dose of Cipro before lights out.

If it expands tomorrow, I'll increase the current in the QT tank. This will make it easier to the nem to expel any additional waste on its own (and I'll collect it as I see it using a turket baster). Note that what's coming out is not dead zoox (it's not a dark color, nor is it solidified), so I don't think it has an infection. Adding Cipro typically doesn't make things worse, so I may continue the regimen a for few more days.
I've seen that stringy white/beige looking material coming off around the column on most of the anemones I treat. It comes off in like rings around the column. Could be the anemone sloughing off dead cells from the stress or it could be sloughing off dead bacteria that collects on the surface. I treated two perfectly healthy looking mags last week and even they had that material accumulating around the foot.

The anemone is looking good so far! Still sending good vibes your way that it continues to improve.

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is quite addicting lol. But if I doget another mag or haddoni I'll certainly qt with cipro on the ready. Right now I'm building my new 190 cube so I'm waiting to decide IF I want to add another big nem then.

I'm seriously considering a haddoni then so I have a large nem high and low.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End of day 2.

Photo in the morning:

F702249E-7F86-4B5A-9156-F3A499E9EF60.jpeg

The mouth was gaping, but no waste. Sloughing at the base was less than yesterday. The water was a bit cloudy, so I decided to do another 100% water change. Once the tank was full and the circulation pump turned on, it slowly began to perk up.

Here's an afternoon shot, with the mouth still open:

9B611EC2-D12E-4902-B253-244AEB50A656.jpeg

And a photo prior to lights off:

A03FC39E-3BC9-42C8-AC24-C659C3D6F20E.jpeg

Overall, I was concerned about its condition this morning, but it continued to improve over the course of the day. Its posture looks a lot better, where it can hold its oral disc up even though I increased the flow. Fingers crossed that it continues to improve tomorrow.

Last edited:

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End of day 3. Woke up to an inflated anemone:

51BF70AC-1515-4498-B9F4-1DE51C1820B6.jpeg

It continued to improved during the day, and the mouth is now fully closed. It also began “sitting up”:

3A58E2E4-8207-407B-A323-C54C7B550B7F.jpeg

Here's a photo right before lights out. I’m not going to do a water change nor am I planning to add Cipro. Note that it’s fully standing on its own:

01FA28A0-3315-4AD0-A2D1-05AF673DDEB6.jpeg

Hopefully tomorrow morning I’ll see a fully inflated anemone as I did this morning. If I do, I’ll do one final water change and will keep it in QT for one additional week. Then it’ll move into its new home.

Last edited:

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's awesome to hear. Thank you @D-Nak for the updates. It's it sticky yet or responding to touch or movement?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's awesome to hear. Thank you @D-Nak for the updates. It's it sticky yet or responding to touch or movement?
I never test to see if an anemone is sticky because it merely indicates that it is able to fire its nematocysts. IME sick nems are still able to fire, even ones that are on the brink of death. Perfectly healthy ones may lose stickiness from time to time. In other words, it's not an indicator of health.

It responds when I clean debris around the base. Fortunately it's completely inflated (no deflated tentacles) and is responding well to light (fully inflates when lighting reaches 100% intensity).

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone is looking great this morning, so I’ll stop posting daily. I've made arrangements with the OP to return the anemone when his tank is ready.

Here’s what it looks like right now:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. This anemone would not live without antibiotic. It is bleached but there are plenty of zooxanthellae still in it's tissue and should recover fully quickly.

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never test to see if an anemone is sticky because it merely indicates that it is able to fire its nematocysts. IME sick nems are still able to fire, even ones that are on the brink of death. Perfectly healthy ones may lose stickiness from time to time. In other words, it's not an indicator of health.

It responds when I clean debris around the base. Fortunately it's completely inflated (no deflated tentacles) and is responding well to light (fully inflates when lighting reaches 100% intensity).

I agree. I’ve seen a dead anemone continue to fire nematocysts and remain sticky while it’s obviously dead.

You’re doing a great job @D-Nak! Keep it up, so happy to see this beautiful anemone moving away from the brink of the death.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree with @gig 'em and @D-Nak regarding stickiness is not an indication of health. I have mases of Gigantea stick to my hand and slough off of a Giantea as it is fallen apart.

Back