Magnifica reef update!

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been awhile since I posted about the Magnifica Reef. Here's a couple of videos under all blues, which shows off their great coloration and fluorescence, and under full spectrum. Unfortunately, I lost both of my Dr. Mac specimens, but all my others are doing great and growing nicely. There are 15 Magnifica in here, some of the smaller ones have moved to the backside of the rock scape and can't be seen in this video. There are also around a dozen rainbow BTA clones, 4 or so green BTA's, a purple and pink malau, a yellow crispa, and several rock flowers.
The search continues for a bigger tank, but I what I'm looking for is not common dimensions, so I may wind up building it myself. Gotta make room for more! Yes, I have an addiction!
Oh, turn off your volume when watching. The tank is in the basement and there is a lot of background noise. Sorry!
Under blues:

Full spectrum:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Future goals right here...
Thank you sir!
I really am biting at the bit for a bigger tank. My goal is something 5 to 6 feet long, 40" to 48" front to back, and 18" to 20" tall. A carpet of Magnifica throughout, with other nems sprinkled in here and there.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can u share your lighting ? spectrum and schedule ...thnx

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can u share your lighting ? spectrum and schedule ...thnx
Sure! I'm running 4 Kessil A360WE's, 2 48" Blue Plus T5's, and 2 48" blue/royal blue/violet LED strips.
Kessils start at 0% color 5% intensity at 10AM and ramp up to 100% color and 100% intensity and back down, off at 10PM. The LED strips come on at 12:00 and go off at 9:00. The T5's come on at 1:00 and off at 6:00.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks..and what happened to your Dr Macs ritteri's ? he has a few in his system with the inflate/deflate disease..I visit there often.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks..and what happened to your Dr Macs ritteri's ? he has a few in his system with the inflate/deflate disease..I visit there often.
One looked good a few days then started falling apart very quickly. It didn't even go through the inflate/deflate process. Didn't even have an chance to try cipro. The second lasted a few weeks and then did the same. I'll be sticking with local purchases from now on.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I moved out all of the BTA and rock flower anemone dominant rocks and put them in a 45 gallon wide/shallow tank that I plumbed to this tank. It was getting too crowded and getting away from the "Mag reef" I was wanting. A few rainbow BTA's still in there that I can't remove, along with my yellow crispa and green aurora. Still looking for the bigger tank.
Mid morning light over the Mag reef:

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I'm surprised that you haven't stocked the tank with a lot of clownfish!
Thank you very much!
I just removed 4 ORA captive bred pink skunks and a pair of orange skunks from the main display. The ORA pink skunks were messing with my wild caught pair and plus they were just ugly. Their color is pale and their shape was 'off' compared to the wilds. I traded them in at my LFS. The orange skunks are in the 45 with all the bubble tips and loving life!
I'm hoping that my wild caught pair breed and that I'm able to collect the eggs which I'll take to a local clown breeder to raise. If that's successful, I'll buy all the babies back from him and add them to the larger tank to come. If that doesn't work, I'll be looking to purchase a few more wild pink skunks.
I don't think I'll add any new clowns to this existing tank.

reveriesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been awhile since I posted about the Magnifica Reef. Here's a couple of videos under all blues, which shows off their great coloration and fluorescence, and under full spectrum. Unfortunately, I lost both of my Dr. Mac specimens, but all my others are doing great and growing nicely. There are 15 Magnifica in here, some of the smaller ones have moved to the backside of the rock scape and can't be seen in this video. There are also around a dozen rainbow BTA clones, 4 or so green BTA's, a purple and pink malau, a yellow crispa, and several rock flowers.
The search continues for a bigger tank, but I what I'm looking for is not common dimensions, so I may wind up building it myself. Gotta make room for more! Yes, I have an addiction!
Oh, turn off your volume when watching. The tank is in the basement and there is a lot of background noise. Sorry!
Under blues:

Full spectrum:

Just incredible! :astonished-face:

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir!
I really am biting at the bit for a bigger tank. My goal is something 5 to 6 feet long, 40" to 48" front to back, and 18" to 20" tall. A carpet of Magnifica throughout, with other nems sprinkled in here and there.
If you want to keep them all, Such a small tank won’t hold them for long. I have a 200x80cm system that two are on the verge of outgrowing. You know they can get 1m+, right? Mine are 60+ and that’s just after 2.5 years (they started out about 20cm).

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you lost any of your fish in that tank? If not, those are some smart fish!

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to keep them all, Such a small tank won’t hold them for long. I have a 200x80cm system that two are on the verge of outgrowing. You know they can get 1m+, right? Mine are 60+ and that’s just after 2.5 years (they started out about 20cm).
Yes, I am aware of how big they can get.
Thanks for the reply.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back