Magnificent Foxface Poison

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface from LAs divers den is doing great. He looks healthy and no spots.

Question:
Tangs pick on him here and there. Even my clown nips at his tail. I know everyone will eventually get along takes about a week in my experience.

Im worried the tangs will bash into the foxface when his crazy sharp venomous spines are fully out. He does this when they come close.

What is the real outcome if one of my fish get's stuck with the poison? What does it do? Should it be a real concern? Anyone have a bad experience?

Thanks!

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface from LAs divers den is doing great. He looks healthy and no spots.

Question:
Tangs pick on him here and there. Even my clown nips at his tail. I know everyone will eventually get along takes about a week in my experience.

Im worried the tangs will bash into the foxface when his crazy sharp venomous spines are fully out. He does this when they come close.

What is the real outcome if one of my fish get's stuck with the poison? What does it do? Should it be a real concern? Anyone have a bad experience?

Thanks!

If one of your fish gets stung there is a very good chance they will not survive. There’s really nothing you can do but cross your fingers.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one of your fish gets stung there is a very good chance they will not survive. There’s really nothing you can do but cross your fingers.
Really? Has there been reports? Does the fish just need to prick one of the fins and thats it?

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a One Spot Fox envenomate a Red Corris Wrasse near its mouth. The Wrasse swelled up to the point one eye looked like it would explode and it swam in circles for a while but was back to normal the next day. May depend on the number of spines contacted and size of both fish but it's not necessarily a death sentence.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a One Spot Fox envenomate a Red Corris Wrasse near its mouth. The Wrasse swelled up to the point one eye looked like it would explode and it swam in circles for a while but was back to normal the next day. May depend on the number of spines contacted and size of both fish but it's not necessarily a death sentence.

Ok, that’s what I figured. I got some big tangs that I’m surprise have not got stung.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't be sure but I believe my Melanurus Wrasse got stung by my One Spot's Spine. It developed a cyst on it's lower jaw and had trouble closing it's mouth for a couple of weeks. It figured out how to filter feed small bits of food by swimming around with it's mouth open and it was enough to keep it going until it healed up. It's doing fine now. I have heard of some fish dying from the Foxface's spines but it honestly all depends on how bad they get stung. Tangs are jerks though.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep waiting for my Powder Blue to get popped. My Foxface is spooked by anything and everything but it is the only fish that stands its ground when the PBT tries to pick a fight.

My foxface wants to be around everyone lol then they dont want him around so they attack... Im like stay away from them man... you know they dont want you around atm...

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang was stung a few times last week when I added a magnificent ff. Hes fine after a day and he leaves the foxface alone now. Still not happy hes in the tank but he wont do anything about it now

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple tang was stung a few times last week when I added a magnificent ff. Hes fine after a day and he leaves the foxface alone now. Still not happy hes in the tank but he wont do anything about it now

That’s good to know! My purple tang will get stung he’s just a bu€£ hole lol

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the location of envenomation, some will survive, some won’t. To all my fellow aquarist our there, keep an eye out for him when your hands are in the tank. Their sting hurts pretty good! Not as bad as lion or coral cat, but it hurts

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a powder brown tang and my foxface in same tank for about a month. The battles were brutal. Foxfaces and tangs are both herbivores and it was a food battle. Woke up one morning foxface is in corner cowering and tang had multiple slashes across his sides. I had to separate them or one was going to die. Finally moved fox to another tank and both have been happy since.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the location of envenomation, some will survive, some won’t. To all my fellow aquarist our there, keep an eye out for him when your hands are in the tank. Their sting hurts pretty good! Not as bad as lion or coral cat, but it hurts
I read that if you get stuck run under hot hot water .

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back