Mail order Mandarin, any suggestions and experiences?

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had poor luck with LFS, got two mandarins, the male is doing great! The female died. I have 350 lbs of live rock and ample pods to make them happy. Just need a good supplier to get a healthy fish. I do not necessarily want to go aqua-cultured as I do not need them to eat frozen.

I have heard Petco actually contracts out fish deliveries and can be good at times, is this true? I love Marine collectors but cannot really swing $150 for a mandarin.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Mandarins, they don't tend to live well in reef tanks if they were wild caught.

Your best bet is either Marine Collectors or ORA bred mandarins. They're the highest chance of success it seems.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had poor luck with LFS, got two mandarins, the male is doing great! The female died. I have 350 lbs of live rock and ample pods to make them happy. Just need a good supplier to get a healthy fish. I do not necessarily want to go aqua-cultured as I do not need them to eat frozen.

I have heard Petco actually contracts out fish deliveries and can be good at times, is this true? I love Marine collectors but cannot really swing $150 for a mandarin.
Reef beauties. I have had a male from LFS for a while but had horrible luck with females. I got a female from reef beauties and she is fattening up really well! This is her.

Attachments

• IMG_3864.jpeg
    IMG_3864.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 22

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a male from ORA a couple months ago. My LFS ordered it and I picked it up still in the ora bag. It’s tiny but so far so good. Supposedly they are raised with frozen foods too but all I ever see is mine hunting the rocks.
first pic is him dead center to right of green Goni as lights were almost off. I rarely can find him.
IMG_0174.jpeg
IMG_9751.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back