Maintaining ALK between 10 and 11

Zatar1974

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using RS Coral Pro salt with hi alk. Just bought some ATI Essentials Pro 2-part dosing system and it advises keeping ALK at 8-9 or it won't work. What is a good 2-part system to use to keep a higher alk? Thanks, Dave

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never run my alk that high but many do.
Esv 2 part will work for you.
Most any 2 part should work once your alk is where you want it though.
I know nothing about, or why, ati would say theirs wont work at higher levels.

OP
OP
Zatar1974

Zatar1974

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never run my alk that high but many do.
Esv 2 part will work for you.
Most any 2 part should work once your alk is where you want it though.
I know nothing about, or why, ati would say theirs wont work at higher levels.
Thanks. I'm new to the hobby and happy to keep ALK where ever best.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm new to the hobby and happy to keep ALK where ever best.
Welcome! You will get many recommendations on where to run your alk.
Best advice is to pick the parameters you want to run and strive to keep them stable.
I target 7-7.5 alk
Ca 450 mg 1350.
These are close to sea level values.
Most people I know including local lfs run 9-10 alk so it can be confusing to someome new.
For me the ocean runs 7 dkh so it must be good, lol.
Checkout my build thread and do some research.
It can be a very rewarding hobby if you have a plan before you begin.

Rit6942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using RS Coral Pro salt with hi alk. Just bought some ATI Essentials Pro 2-part dosing system and it advises keeping ALK at 8-9 or it won't work. What is a good 2-part system to use to keep a higher alk? Thanks, Dave
No way should you run alk that high........6-7 dkh is optimal and is nsw standard. People who run high alk risk their tank inhabitants health short and long term.

OP
OP
Zatar1974

Zatar1974

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! You will get many recommendations on where to run your alk.
Best advice is to pick the parameters you want to run and strive to keep them stable.
I target 7-7.5 alk
Ca 450 mg 1350.
These are close to sea level values.
Most people I know including local lfs run 9-10 alk so it can be confusing to someome new.
For me the ocean runs 7 dkh so it must be good, lol.
Checkout my build thread and do some research.
It can be a very rewarding hobby if you have a plan before you begin.
Much appreciated!

OP
OP
Zatar1974

Zatar1974

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way should you run alk that high........6-7 dkh is optimal and is nsw standard. People who run high alk risk their tank inhabitants health short and long term.
Thanks. Red Sea recommends 12 dkh as target goal for a mixed tank with 50% SPS. Any clue why that high?

JohnnyBeagle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Red Sea recommends 12 dkh as target goal for a mixed tank with 50% SPS. Any clue why that high?
BRS did a video recently that showed better growth at 12dkh for most of their corals when compared against the standard range

So if you're looking to grow frags into full blown colonies, it seems pretty good. Some acros might get burnt tips if you run it too high but otherwise it seems good

Rit6942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is absolutely no scientific proof or controlled testing done isolating alkalinity as a sole factor growth booster. And Red Sea is far from a reputable company........ Its the Walmart of reefing in my book.........

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a video recently that showed better growth at 12dkh for most of their corals when compared against the standard range

So if you're looking to grow frags into full blown colonies, it seems pretty good. Some acros might get burnt tips if you run it too high but otherwise it seems good

What he said, check out the elevated levels videos. It's not proof but just a concept, if you like the idea behind it go for it, but accept it's not something that has been done for 10+ years so there are unknowns.

As far as the NSW levels, I never got that argument. We don't want to replicate the sea. Most of us don't anyway. We want corals in a small environment that would never grow like that in the sea. Different depths, light levels etc. And we all want spotless sand, or no sand, and also no algea, or predators, what's natural about this whole setup? ;)

For a lot of people it's about the coral growt, just because the ocean is at 7.5, doesn't mean we can't improve on that. We are growing crops in the desert now, thats not how the desert intended it..

Rit6942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What he said, check out the elevated levels videos. It's not proof but just a concept, if you like the idea behind it go for it, but accept it's not something that has been done for 10+ years so there are unknowns.

As far as the NSW levels, I never got that argument. We don't want to replicate the sea. Most of us don't anyway. We want corals in a small environment that would never grow like that in the sea. Different depths, light levels etc. And we all want spotless sand, or no sand, and also no algea, or predators, what's natural about this whole setup? ;)

For a lot of people it's about the coral growt, just because the ocean is at 7.5, doesn't mean we can't improve on that. We are growing crops in the desert now, thats not how the desert intended it..
yup and reef tanks arent just about coral growth speed........and considering how many detrimental effects high alkalinity has on other aspects of reef components and organisms.........ill pass on junk science for extra lsd neon in the tank. And btw.......the last portion of the post is an assumption................

hmmmmm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup and reef tanks arent just about coral growth speed........and considering how many detrimental effects high alkalinity has on other aspects of reef components and organisms.........ill pass on junk science for extra lsd neon in the tank. And btw.......the last portion of the post is an assumption................

Yes like the post states, nothing is proven and all based on assumptions. That's how things progress, otherwise we would all have anenomes under halides. Stating what a reef tank is supposed to be... Its different for everyone, but natural is not what I would call most mixed reef tanks on this forum ;)

Some people like the neon Japanese skyline vibe, others might want to frag and maximise growth, you like a natural looking tank apparently. One is not better then the other as far as I'm concerned, it's a hobby after all.

Back on topic: Watch some of the videos and decide for yourself. There is also a bigger topic on here, search for elevated levels and you'll find it I think.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id be interested to know what these detrimental effects are? At what levels? What components and organisms are we talking about? Also be curious to know where this information can be found?

Rit6942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup....
exactly the point.......i do know that the few tests ive seen on saying coral growth is increased with jacked up alkalinity do not give full results on parameters used or a range of parameters from everything including light intensity.....duration.....type etc......flow rates.....microlevel nutrient content etc etc.......so to keep it simple......jacking alkalinity.....dosing off the shelf junk..... is prolly nothing more than a masked band aid........i keep it simple......NSW parameters.......proper light....flow......ive never had an issue with growth coloration of corals.........inverts........fish.......live rock.......never dealt with unexpected "tank crashes" or inhabitant issues/deaths. I can say this true for 30 plus years. If your gonna keep some NSW parameters.......then why wouldnt u keep ALL OF THEM?

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup....
exactly the point.......i do know that the few tests ive seen on saying coral growth is increased with jacked up alkalinity do not give full results on parameters used or a range of parameters from everything including light intensity.....duration.....type etc......flow rates.....microlevel nutrient content etc etc.......so to keep it simple......jacking alkalinity.....dosing off the shelf junk..... is prolly nothing more than a masked band aid........i keep it simple......NSW parameters.......proper light....flow......ive never had an issue with growth coloration of corals.........inverts........fish.......live rock.......never dealt with unexpected "tank crashes" or inhabitant issues/deaths. I can say this true for 30 plus years. If your gonna keep some NSW parameters.......then why wouldnt u keep ALL OF THEM?
So you’re saying you don’t know the detrimental effects of keeping high alk? Or what these effects are at what levels? You’re also saying you don’t know what components or organisms it may effect?

so essentially your previous statement regarding these things is complete garbage. It’s just your opinion with no basis.

funny how you call someone’s actual attempt to find answers crap science when you make a statement based on no science. That’s poor form.

it’s statements like yours that hurt the hobby more than help.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup....
Do you have any photos of your tank?

Rit6942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re saying you don’t know the detrimental effects of keeping high alk? Or what these effects are at what levels? You’re also saying you don’t know what components or organisms it may effect?

so essentially your previous statement regarding these things is complete garbage. It’s just your opinion with no basis.

funny how you call someone’s actual attempt to find answers crap science when you make a statement based on no science. That’s poor form.

it’s statements like yours that hurt the hobby more than help.
And you're taking the concept of the reply out of its meaning in essense your post is worthless in itself. High alkalinity causes burns on corals to start.....over 10dkh it can be noticeable within a few short months.......its also very detrimental to fish and inverts kept.......can be lethal short and long term depending on levels. Again to keep it simple.........why keep some nsw parameters in tact and not all of them?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back