Maintaining ALK between 10 and 11

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your corals are looking good, I would not change the Alkalinity just because someone says so or to just chase a number, it will probably do more harm then good. I keep my Alk between 11.5 and 12 , everything looks awesome, Got SPS and LPS. I also use Redsea Coral Pro.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought some ATI Essentials Pro 2-part dosing system and it advises keeping ALK at 8-9 or it won't work.

That certainly is not true, and i doubt they state it exactly that way. Any two part can be used to attain any normal value. I expect they are saying they believe that range to be optimal.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you're taking the concept of the reply out of its meaning in essense your post is worthless in itself. High alkalinity causes burns on corals to start.....over 10dkh it can be noticeable within a few short months.......its also very detrimental to fish and inverts kept.......can be lethal short and long term depending on levels. Again to keep it simple.........why keep some nsw parameters in tact and not all of them?

That's a bit extreme, IMO. There is nothing wrong with 11 dKH as long as you have the N and P to support the higher coral growth rates.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. If your gonna keep some NSW parameters.......then why wouldnt u keep ALL OF THEM?

Ignoring the rest of your claims (which I disagree with), I can give plenty of reasons to do exactly what you are asking.

The simplest is that you may not think NSW levels are best. Another is that you may not be able to measure all elements if you only keep NSW levels (say, iron).

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my example:
11.5 - 12 dKH
1470 Mg
445 Ca
0.2 - 0.5 NO3
0.012 Po4

This let's me keep good looking and growing corals, there is no reason for you to drop alkalinity just because people say the new standard is "6" as i just have seen in this thread.

OP
OP
Zatar1974

Zatar1974

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is absolutely no scientific proof or controlled testing done isolating alkalinity as a sole factor growth booster. And Red Sea is far from a reputable company........ Its the Walmart of reefing in my book.........
Thanks much.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability wins at whatever levels you run, imo.
Here is what some reefers ran/recommended in the late 80's, lol.
Could you imagine the response you would get if you said you ran or recommened a dkh of 15-18, lol.
Many had some nice reefs back then too.
I still prefer close to NSW values for my tank.
20200514_190359.jpg

Back