Maintaining water in CO2 Scrubber.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week or two ago I added a CO2 scrubber (after doing the inside/outside test). My pH jumped rather quickly from the mid to high 7s to the low to mid 8s. Naturally, I added a PH controller and valve to peg the ph at 8.3. For the first few days it worked flawlessly. However, I'm now finding the pH struggling to stay above 8.1. Even changing out the media didn't make a difference.
My first thought, which I'm still open to, is replacing the skimmer to something that will draw in more air. But I'm not sure that's needed, especially since my skimmer seems perfectly adequate otherwise. This is a 40g tank with a 20g sump, so I figure there's about 50g of water in it. The skimmer is a Reef Octopus Classic 110-INT.
However, I'm wondering if the problem is actually the water in the bottom of the scrubber evaporating so quickly. You can't fit much in there and it tends to be gone within 24 hours.
In any case, I've found it's pretty convenient that I can add water my pouring into the scrubber's intake and letting it dribble down to the bottom instead of unscrewing the canister.

That got me thinking. I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting a cheap/slow dosing pump. I'm thinking just a few drops every few hours should keep it nice and topped off. I'd may have to find a way to get it to power down when air isn't being drawn through it so it doesn't flood the media. But I think a relay should be able to handle that just fine.

Any thoughts on that? Any other ideas to keep the water level maintained? Is it even worth the hassle?

I originally thought about having the incoming air go through a DIY bubble chamber (think about how a bong works, same idea). But I was a bit worried about the back pressure and a lot more worried about the noise, but beyond that, I think it would work.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do exactly what you're thinking about. I watched the water level in the co2 scrubber and figured out how much was evaporating and setup a dosing head to dump rod in there. The water DOES make a difference.

OP
OP
J

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any really slow dosing heads? I'm thinking either the BRS 1.1 or the Kaomer X1 Bluetooth.
I'm guessing the BRS 1.1 is more reliable, but I'd need to come up with a timer since it's a 'dumb' pump and only runs at a single speed and always runs when it's powered up. The kaomer can be set from your phone to dose a given amount at a given time.
Any more expensive that something like that and I might as well add another Versa.

I'm thinking all this is going to need is a few drops an hour to maintain just a small amount of water.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have X1's here and love them... I don't really care how slowly it doses. I just set it to add water twice a day. It really doesn't need to be precise... you just don't want too much water in there.

OP
OP
J

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have X1's here and love them... I don't really care how slowly it doses. I just set it to add water twice a day. It really doesn't need to be precise... you just don't want too much water in there.
That's the one I ended up getting. I'm hoping it can pump water up from my basement so I can just use it with my existing ATO.
As for me wanting it to be slow, my reason for that was that some these pumps are 'dumb' pumps. They're either on or off. If I put a 40ml/min pump on a timer to run it for 1 minute, that's 4x the amount of water it'll take to fill up the bottom.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the one I ended up getting. I'm hoping it can pump water up from my basement so I can just use it with my existing ATO.
As for me wanting it to be slow, my reason for that was that some these pumps are 'dumb' pumps. They're either on or off. If I put a 40ml/min pump on a timer to run it for 1 minute, that's 4x the amount of water it'll take to fill up the bottom.
I use the wifi pumps (X1 Pro 2) and can set them in the app. Great dosers that hold calibration well and have been trouble free.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 60 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 72 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.1%
Back