Majano help needed!

skip0211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I misdiagnosed a Majano infestation for Ricordi, with the help of folks here in another thread by me called killer Ricordia, I asked for help.. Majano’s they are. I have been able to remove the cover of my stand and get to the back of my 265 gal SPS tank. I have no soft corals. I have hundreds of Majano’s now in my tank and some have crawled into some SPS and are killing them in spots..ugh! Tank tear down is not an option..
l’ve searched the internet and find talk of Majano Wands, Liquid remedies that don’t make sense in my case, File fish, Raccoon butterflies, Etc.. I’m hoping someone reads this and has had a similar problem…

Thanks for your help,

Skip

C2C62B1F-7E3E-4A6A-8EA9-9FE14A19953B.jpeg 1FF9F1C6-D49F-423E-8D88-ACB70C44871E.jpeg 62991F58-3143-4BE2-B521-31BCE832DA98.jpeg

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You have a real problem on your hand. And remedies are short and not a great deal of success either. I think there is a type of file fish that eats it, Peppermint shrimps, and of course your usual kalk paste stuff. But there just so much of those guys in your tank. Hope others can chime in with plan for you.

zpete3323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any rocks that are loose I would pull and scrub/pitch. Killing that many in the tank could lead to chemical issues I would assume. Find natural predators and pack them in. Probably will take a few months but would save you from a complete tear down if that is what you want to avoid.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle Tail Filefish. Not always 100% reef safe, but if they do nip, it's usually zoas, mushrooms, etc. (Although I've read that they can also nip at clams)
Also, Biota claims their captive bred filefish are "trained" to eat pest nems...

OP
OP
skip0211

skip0211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not encouraging.. I have huge number of Majano’s and I just sent Biota an email, asking how many I could add to my 265”. I’ll see what they say.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure all will tell you that every fish is different but I thought with the captive bred I would have a much better advantage. Previously I had tried a wild caught from a LFS and that guy started chomping on SPS over Aiptasia or Majanos. They have pretty sharp teeth, the Biota one use to ambush me when I was doing maintenance in the tank and every time it broke skin and caused bleeding.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not encouraging.. I have huge number of Majano’s and I just sent Biota an email, asking how many I could add to my 265”. I’ll see what they say.
Maybe ask around in your local reefing community and see if someone has a well behaved one with an appetite for nems... You might be able to borrow or "rent" it for a couple months.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back