Majano Removal

derek10152

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few Majanos in my tank and looking for the best was to remove these pest. Any ideas out there would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak of mojano in my 180 they took over so fast but I couldn't reach to the bottom of my tank i bought a file fish.. and copperband butterfly fish didn't touch it. ( luck of the draw ) bought alot of peppermint shrimp no luck.Then I bought a majano wand. Worked good if you only have a few majano but it seemed to multiply fast my file fish only ate them after I burned them with the wand. Guess he likes it cooked!! L.O.L. P.S. careful with the wand other fish can snap at it and die, and will kill corals if you accidentally zap them.. so I was desperate and bought a raccoon butterfly fish. Omg that little guy ate them all. I was so happy till he started to eat my beautiful coral when there wasn't anymore majano.I tried to catch him but he was so fast that little guy could not be caught. So I did loose several coral. If I had a smaller tank without so many rock caves for him to hide I would have caught him to rehome. Then he started chewing on my large anemone. And was killing it.my tomato clown kept chasing him away. Then one morning I saw him dead. I was sad but relieved raccoon is the only thing that I found to kill mojano completely

Attachments

• 20201206_162321.jpg
    20201206_162321.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 42

bestfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Franks f aptasia and reef safe epoxy work. Get on top of this now. It can get out of control very fast. Understand that when you use a majano wand, you cause them to release more of themselves into the water column. You need to smother them by covering the mouth with spackle like substances which prevent this ejection into the tank.

Green file fish work great too, but will pick at zoos and pallys once done with the aptasia or Majanos.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Franks f aptasia and reef safe epoxy work. Get on top of this now. It can get out of control very fast. Understand that when you use a majano wand, you cause them to release more of themselves into the water column. You need to smother them by covering the mouth with spackle like substances which prevent this ejection into the tank.

Green file fish work great too, but will pick at zoos and pallys once done with the aptasia or Majanos.
I was thinking that majano not release themselves same as aptasias. I think my only option is the filefish then, but I had bad luck with one some years before and zoas...but I can sell it once he have done his job. The best would be a bi color angel fish but as I have already flame angels it will not be possible

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree adding the butterfly fish. And removing the rock and coral and or catching and re homing. Taking back to the fish store. Ect.
Just to give u the upper hand on your situation. They make fish trap boxes and or try early morning or when the lights are out even.
Other than that... dry the rock out and replace as u go.
D

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried two file fish and a copperband ,none of this tree eat them,they even not touch an apatasia...:-(
Would kike to try a bicolor but I'm not sure if the loriculus would accept it?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back