Majestic Angel Owners please help!

kevindo123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been eyeing a Majestic Angel at my LFS. It has been in there for over a month now and looking very healthy. They kept it in a mix SPS/LPS tank and the corals looks fine. I just brought him home and now discovering the tank. I see him nip on some SPS but it looks harmless.

Any advice how to keep him happy and eating and stay away from my corals.

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is an older mature one there is not much you can do besides feed well. Its set in its ways. I have 5 different angels and none of them do enough damage to make a difference. I raised them all from juvi s and they never learned to eat coral. Good luck they are beautiful and I would keep it over coral any day.

OP
OP
kevindo123

kevindo123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Majestic Angel I got is a mature one and is about 3 to 4" long.

Great to hear that we can keep these beautiful fish with SPS/LPS corals. I tried to feed LRS but it totally ignored it. I see it pick on the rocks and eating it, including sponges and bristle worms, but not the LRS. I'll try tomorrow. I didn't think angels eat bristle worms.

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always going to go after its natural food first. I'm sure it will come to recognize Introduced foods soon. Majestic s are one of the more shy angels and it takes them time to get used to there surroundings. Mine started the same way but now eats anything thrown in the tank.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try foods that resemble what they go after in nature first - Hikari small mysis or PE mysis is a good start. The fish will likely go after one or the other initially due to vast size difference. If fish doesn't go after either within a few days get your hands on live black worms or brine shrimp. You'll want to get some type of calories in the fish quickly. LRS is a phenominal food that I use daily but some fish don't recognize it as food for a while.

In regards to coral you generally have to let the fish dictate what you can/can't keep. I would not attempt to add any frags now that the angel is in there. Only colonies or very large frags. A healthy colony can generally take being picked at here and there, while a tiny frag cannot.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine heavily and so it totally ignores SPS. Large fleshy LPS and some zoas are at risk for a nip, but no real damage except it developed a taste for candy canes so I don't keep those any longer. I wouldn't even risk clams....

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back