Majestic Angel + Powder Brown Tang

joe_sharkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 300 gallon FOWLR. It has baby horn shark (it’ll be moved to a 500 gallon in a year or 2), a 5 inch miniatus grouper, a Niger trigger, a powder brown tang, a blue ribbon eel, a clown that came with the tank who holds his own well, and a 4 inch hi fin snapper. Everyone’s been getting along great and I chose the powder brown tang as my only tang because I know they show aggression with one another. I just finally introduced my majestic angel which is about the same size as my brown tang (about 5 inches) and the tang won’t leave him alone :/

I set up a mirror to distract the tang for now… I also moved around some rocks to disrupt territories… any other suggestions? I’ve waited a long time for this angel (it should’ve been intro with the tang but they ran out of stock and said if it’s last the angel will be fine since they’re more bullies).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
I have a 300 gallon FOWLR. It has baby horn shark (it’ll be moved to a 500 gallon in a year or 2), a 5 inch miniatus grouper, a Niger trigger, a powder brown tang, a blue ribbon eel, a clown that came with the tank who holds his own well, and a 4 inch hi fin snapper. Everyone’s been getting along great and I chose the powder brown tang as my only tang because I know they show aggression with one another. I just finally introduced my majestic angel which is about the same size as my brown tang (about 5 inches) and the tang won’t leave him alone :/

I set up a mirror to distract the tang for now… I also moved around some rocks to disrupt territories… any other suggestions? I’ve waited a long time for this angel (it should’ve been intro with the tang but they ran out of stock and said if it’s last the angel will be fine since they’re more bullies).
Patience - as long as the bullying is not affecting the tang. You could try to isolate the tang - until the angel establishes more of a territory?

OP
OP
joe_sharkk

joe_sharkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience - as long as the bullying is not affecting the tang. You could try to isolate the tang - until the angel establishes more of a territory?

I just worry that it’ll be too much stress. The tang is wayyy too fast and the caves are all interlocked to realistically ever remove any fish that are healthy and fast. Now, it seems the tang and angel have more or less settled their beef but the niger trigger has been… triggered… and has suddenly become super territorial and aggressive to tang. They were best friends and shared a cave til today. Ugh. Such a frustrating addition haha. Just hoping they settle it and get along. I turned off all lights and put a towel over the top and middle of tank to make it dark as possible… seems to be working a bit for now. :/

OP
OP
joe_sharkk

joe_sharkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: turned out all the lights covered the aquarium and then went to feed today. Everyone is happily respecting each other. Thank god. Just needed a little time out haha.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Powder brown is a beast . Mine will check the bigger tangs any day of the week . I’m like ? I don’t get it

OP
OP
joe_sharkk

joe_sharkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder brown is a beast . Mine will check the bigger tangs any day of the week . I’m like ? I don’t get it
Yeah now that everyone has settled down… it’s not the shark or angelfish or the bigger orange shoulder tang, or the puffer or the grouper that runs the tank. The powder brown tang and trigger take turns being boss, peacefully.

Man they def had a huge brawl to figure out hierarchy tho. So stressful, but no injuries and the tank is peaceful and finished. Love it now that they’re calm haha.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yeah now that everyone has settled down… it’s not the shark or angelfish or the bigger orange shoulder tang, or the puffer or the grouper that runs the tank. The powder brown tang and trigger take turns being boss, peacefully.

Man they def had a huge brawl to figure out hierarchy tho. So stressful, but no injuries and the tank is peaceful and finished. Love it now that they’re calm haha.
The only thing I have to say negative about PBT is they are ich magnets

OP
OP
joe_sharkk

joe_sharkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I have to say negative about PBT is they are ich magnets
Yeah same with powder blue and hippos :/ always making life hard. I just have invested in some powerful UV filters and have all the vitamins and meds always stocked. But I love them anyway :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back