Majestic with an Emperor Angel

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts or experience with putting an Emperor and Majestic together in a 180. I've had the majestic since October. The emperor still has the juvenile coloring. My majestic has been peaceful and happy with tankmates. Would adding the emperor change that?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do it, those Angels are from the same family, and the tank is to small, they'll fight. If you need another angel find one not in the Pomacanthus Navarchus family.

Quinn123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think in the 180 you would be fine. I have a large blue face, a large regal, juvenile imperor, a majestic, a 2" baby blue face, and no problem so far. OH! and my tank is a 150 gallons

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do it, those Angels are from the same family, and the tank is to small, they'll fight. If you need another angel find one not in the Pomacanthus Navarchus family.

I added an Asfur in with an established Navarchus in a 180 and they get along great. The Navarchus is a more shy angel so probably won't start any fights, even though it is established. Saying that though all fish are different and they might hate each other from the get go. It is a risk but one I think has a decent chance of working. Especially if you use an acclimation box for a week or two. Just be prepared to remove one or the other just in case.

OP
OP
Bryon

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think in the 180 you would be fine. I have a large blue face, a large regal, juvenile imperor, a majestic, a 2" baby blue face, and no problem so far. OH! and my tank is a 150 gallons

How long have they all been together?

Quinn123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they been in the tank about a year now without any problem. the regal went in first, majestic, blue face, imperor and last was the 2" baby blue face. i know that a lot of fish in a 150 gallon, but i do a 20% water change every week.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they been in the tank about a year now without any problem. the regal went in first, majestic, blue face, imperor and last was the 2" baby blue face. i know that a lot of fish in a 150 gallon, but i do a 20% water change every week.

A 20% water change doesn't make the tank any bigger, see a couple of those angels outgrowing that tank shortly.

As to the OP, I personally wouldn't put an emperor in a 6 foot long tank, regardless of there being another angel or not.

OP
OP
Bryon

Bryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations for another angel or should I just leave well enough allow?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OLD THREAD BUT:

This did not work for me, though my majestic was killed in a 10 foot, "lightly stocked" (for its' size) tank. The emperor was 5" the Majestic ~3.75 inch. It worked for 6 months, then went badly fast.

I do feel it might work now that I have lots more large angels and it's more crowded (less likely to be able to defend territory against all of the other angels, more distraction so less likely to fixate on one fish). I won't try again, however.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back