Major issues with fish and corals

Lewbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input I think you might be right about the snails or worms because its in the exposed Skelton I will try to dip the coral . And I did add Dr.Tim beneficial bacteria in the tank a whole bottle its been added 4 weeks ago .
Did you add fish soon after, I know it says you can on the dr Tim, but its not particularly true imo.

OP
OP
R

Reefqtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral is not a maze …. favia of some kind. They are tricky and not really recommended for a new tank. Agree on knowing what meds you used. Years ago I used Dr. G anti-parasite caviar and wherever it landed on a coral the polyp died. Never used it again.
No meds is used but I am planning a dip with coral rx . Have you used it before ?

15956104343327385492457128730178.jpg

OP
OP
R

Reefqtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add fish soon after, I know it says you can on the dr Tim, but its not particularly true imo.
I added fish after two months to my large tank , and these fish were in my other 20g tank for almost 40 days with no issues .

OP
OP
R

Reefqtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If fish were added before the cycling concluded, with feeding, it can cause the tank to never fully cycle and ammonia levels remain even 4 months on. I would expect 0 ammonia in a tank your size with little to no fish once cycled.

Lasse's question is very important. :)
I left tank running until the diatom bloom then when it started going away its when I added only 3 fish

Lewbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO buddy, don't dip yet. If its a worm, its probably not one that will harm the coral and they are often found living alongside favia. I'd do a water change to dilute the products you have put in, and wait for ammonia to reach 0 before adding fish or corals again. Favia are sensitive corals (as are most LPS) considering newish tanks.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he has such big tank, it's been 4 months, how many fish did you have? what filtration? I don't see much surface area for bacteria to grow. You might have overloaded your biological filtration and or starved what you did have....
Also, your ALK is a bit low IMO. I'd test it every day for a few days to see if it's swinging for some reason. If your ALK is stable, chances are a bunch of things will be too (within reason).

High PH I believe is acidic and will kill things like bacteria.

OP
OP
R

Reefqtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO buddy, don't dip yet. If its a worm, its probably not one that will harm the coral and they are often found living alongside favia. I'd do a water change to dilute the products you have put in, and wait for ammonia to reach 0 before adding fish or corals again. Favia are sensitive corals (as are most LPS) considering newish tanks.
I will take your opinion i will do a 10% water change every 7 days then . Because my water change are only 2% every week didnt want to change big amount because parameters are within acceptable range . Thanks a lot for the advice

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take your opinion i will do a 10% water change every 7 days then . Because my water change are only 2% every week didnt want to change big amount because parameters are within acceptable range . Thanks a lot for the advice

I would get a bottle of Microbacter 7 and stability...use those in conjuction with your water changes. NOT at the same time though as your water changes! Do the change first, put the bact in, wait a few days, put more, etc.

OP
OP
R

Reefqtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he has such big tank, it's been 4 months, how many fish did you have? what filtration? I don't see much surface area for bacteria to grow. You might have overloaded your biological filtration and or starved what you did have....
Also, your ALK is a bit low IMO. I'd test it every day for a few days to see if it's swinging for some reason. If your ALK is stable, chances are a bunch of things will be too (within reason).

High PH I believe is acidic and will kill things like bacteria.
Total before 3 died , 7 and now only 5 . Inverbrits are doing just fine , 2 fire shrimp 1 cleaner, 5 hermets crab , and 5 turbo snails I feed the fresh algea once a week because my tank lacking algea.

Alk I keep track of it all the time I lose about 0.2 everyday but that's when I started now its stable within 7.8 to 8.4 from what I read its okay.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dr.tim first defense only i will attach a pic .

15956102191242070824296200911726.jpg
I have not used that but I do not believe that it is the reason why your coral does not feel well.

I will recheck amonia again . The seachem is giving me below 0.02 reading but when I check with the testing kit it reads high
If seachem give you below 0.02 as NH3 - the 0.25 as total ammonia (NH3+NH4) is false - as it nearly always is with total ammonia tests.

I do not think its a new tank syndrome either but favia is a very tricky coral - IMO - I have never have had luck with them.

Sincerely Lasse

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total before 3 died , 7 and now only 5 . Inverbrits are doing just fine , 2 fire shrimp 1 cleaner, 5 hermets crab , and 5 turbo snails I feed the fresh algea once a week because my tank lacking algea.

Alk I keep track of it all the time I lose about 0.2 everyday but that's when I started now its stable within 7.8 to 8.4 from what I read its okay.

I'm sorry I feel like I'm being mean or picky. But from 7.8 to 8.4 is a big swing. You may want to start dosing a little bit a day to keep it more stable. I'm not sure how you're losing so much in ALK, I have a tank full of coral and I don't lost ALK like that...

Lewbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi buddy, I'd do one 10% water change and then don't do any more until you hit 0 in ammonia and nitrite. The nitrogen cycle is tricky. Basically, the good bacteria breaks down the ammonia and makes it into Nitrite, and then further breaks down the nitrite into nitrate. So your tank should naturally balance itself to 0 without further water changes. If you do a water change mid cycle, you restart the cycling process.

Once at 0 for ammonia and nitrite you know the tank is cycled but you will have high nitrate and you will then need to do water changes to get rid. Once that's low to 0 add some stock slowly. Test for the next 2 weeks after stocks added and make sure that ammonia/nitrites remain 0, but you should see nitrate start to climb again symbolising your tank is cycled and converting your fishes waste.

I only know this cos my tank didn't cycle properly many years ago, and I lost a lot until someone explained it to me.

If you don't see the ammonia reduce, you have another issue - in which case PM me or post on here and we can address (this could be down to flow, live rock, and a number of issues but I doubt you will have any issues.

All the best in reefing and never shy from asking questions! Your favia should survive so don't feel pressured on time.

OP
OP
R

Reefqtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used that but I do not believe that it is the reason why your coral does not feel well.

If seachem give you below 0.02 as NH3 - the 0.25 as total ammonia (NH3+NH4) is false - as it nearly always is with total ammonia tests.

I do not think its a new tank syndrome either but favia is a very tricky coral - IMO - I have never have had luck with them.

Sincerely Lasse

I attached some of my other coral pics the seem to be doing just fine and never had a problem with except one zoa frag aren't looking healthy but the rest are fine.. I guess maybe I will have to try and read alot with that favia coral

1595611504470317783557685253730.jpg 15956115222291581792326574138921.jpg 15956115726696742782840036942987.jpg

Lewbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
I can't comment on these test kits as I don't use them but would recommend a good test kit as that will resolve a lot of these questions. :) Red Sea are good and worth the investment

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi buddy, I'd do one 10% water change and then don't do any more until you hit 0 in ammonia and nitrite. The nitrogen cycle is tricky. Basically, the good bacteria breaks down the ammonia and makes it into Nitrite, and then further breaks down the nitrite into nitrate. So your tank should naturally balance itself to 0 without further water changes. If you do a water change mid cycle, you restart the cycling process.

Once at 0 for ammonia and nitrite you know the tank is cycled but you will have high nitrate and you will then need to do water changes to get rid. Once that's low to 0 add some stock slowly. Test for the next 2 weeks after stocks added and make sure that ammonia/nitrites remain 0, but you should see nitrate start to climb again symbolising your tank is cycled and converting your fishes waste.

I only know this cos my tank didn't cycle properly many years ago, and I lost a lot until someone explained it to me.

If you don't see the ammonia reduce, you have another issue - in which case PM me or post on here and we can address (this could be down to flow, live rock, and a number of issues but I doubt you will have any issues.

All the best in reefing and never shy from asking questions! Your favia should survive so don't feel pressured on time.

I agree with this! Best thing you can do is start using Stability and Microbacter7, after ONE waterchange. CHeck your Phosphates too ;) Both Stab and micro help you establish bacteria. I'd also add more surface area..but that's just me..I have alot of rock in my tank.

OP
OP
R

Reefqtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I feel like I'm being mean or picky. But from 7.8 to 8.4 is a big swing. You may want to start dosing a little bit a day to keep it more stable. I'm not sure how you're losing so much in ALK, I have a tank full of coral and I don't lost ALK like that...
I feel like I need more surface area maybe for the bacteria filtration because my rocks are not live rock . I was dosing and from time to time I do . But just for the past 3 weeks the alk is not fluctuating as much

Lewbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached some of my other coral pics the seem to be doing just fine and never had a problem with except one zoa frag aren't looking healthy but the rest are fine.. I guess maybe I will have to try and read alot with that favia coral

1595611504470317783557685253730.jpg 15956115222291581792326574138921.jpg 15956115726696742782840036942987.jpg
Some of these are bleached buddy which is not good (esp the first picture of the frogspawn). One other question, what lights do you have?

OP
OP
R

Reefqtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't comment on these test kits as I don't use them but would recommend a good test kit as that will resolve a lot of these questions. :) Red Sea are good and worth the investment
I use hanna test kits and also use other to see if I get different reading . Trust issues with these tests lol

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I need more surface area maybe for the bacteria filtration because my rocks are not live rock . I was dosing and from time to time I do . But just for the past 3 weeks the alk is not fluctuating as much
Oh that's for three weeks? Not daily? ok.

My OPINION is, check alk daily for a few days. Calculate how much is lost, and start dosing if it's a big loss. I don't lose that much alk probably cause I do 25% water changes at least once a week on my tank. But mine is smaller than your's and I can replenish easier with water changes.

You might have to start dosing though. Your alk might be ticking off that one coral, and it's just your first sign before the rest are ticked. Remember, it's not about survival, it's about thriving. I have seen mine do some crazy extension where I end up surprised how big they got. The fish...who know whaat it was besides the ich. But do your cycling thing, check your alk and dose if needed and you should be good. I'm excited to see how it goes!

OP
OP
R

Reefqtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of these are bleached buddy which is not good (esp the first picture of the torch). One other question, what lights do you have?
Keloray ao100 lights , and to be honest I don't like them since I got them but it was my only option where I am living and for a month now I am searching for a one time purchase for my lights . I might go with aquatic life t5ho hybrid 61" and add 4 Kessil a360 to it , any advice?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 62 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.4%
Back