Make Diatoms grow.....Faster?!

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just getting to the diatom stage of my tank. Been up about 2 months. I know they will go away if I leave them as I use RO/DI for top off and TDS is 0, nitrates are 0 as well. But was wondering if there is a way to adjust lights or anything to get the diatoms to bloom faster and thus eat all the silicates faster thus ending the bloom faster.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't know. But you need to get your nitrates up, and probably phosphates. 5ppm nitrates and 0.03 phosphates are about the lowest you want to go in the average tank, and a bit higher is better. Otherwise helpful algaes can't grow in, and pest algaes, which can tolerate low nutrients, will continue to run amok. Also, corals will starve and die if kept without any nutrients.

Keeping nutrients up will help your tank mature, which can help crowd out diatoms.

OP
OP
neo1738

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is FOWLR for first year, have Chaeto to eat nutrients in fuge. Plan to work on corals after I've mastered fish as they seem more difficult and time intensive.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The silicates will only leach into the water as fast as the leaching process lasts.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your rock needs to mature before the pest algaes will fully go away, and nutrients are required for that. Would suggest less chaeto. It'll starve at 0 nutrients anyway.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back