Making a cover

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a failure for my wrasse. Everyone said wrasses are jumpers. I was sure mine would stay in the tank. I was wrong. Twinkle Tail (a blue streaked cleaner wrasse) went kitchen floor surfing the other day and I just found him last night. I convinced myself he was hiding in a rock. I was wrong. Enough beating myself up. I am going to learn from this.

I have a uniquely shaped bowfront that the arch is deeper on than most common bowfronts. I have to make my own cover since I failed to do so before losing beloved fish. My plan is to make a rectangle screen for the part that is not on the bow and cut a piece of acrylic sheet for the bow and another piece to fit in all the nooks and crannies around the hob skimmer pipes and cords for the equipment in the back.

Does anyone have a better solution or any thing at all to improve on this idea?

I only have a small mimic tang (Ting Tang) and a tangaroa goby (OB1Goby) as far as fish goes in the tank now. Hoping Ting doesn't get bored and decide to follow his buddy to the kitchen floor while I make this.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your wrasse. I've been there. I have 4 now but put a rock solid lid over my tank. Nice names for your fish. Hopefully your lid comes out good. It seems inevitable that a wrasse will try to jump out of the tank.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the meantime, you could use egg crate. I did my own lid for a hex 20 gal qt tank. With zip ties, you can put together something pretty quickly and it's easy to snip and fit. Not the best looking solution but would work until you get something better

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel too bad Miss Maggie I also lost a nice wrasse the same way. I like your idea . You could attach acrylic part to the screen part & use zip ties as hinges maybe.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put a piece of regular plexiglas on top of the tank, there is a good chance that it will absorb moisture and bow in a short amount of time. Maybe consider a combination of your idea and Susan's. Make the rectangular screen top as large as you can and cut the curved part out of eggcrate. Be aware that smaller fish can get through the holes in eggcrate. But you can cover the bottom of the eggcrate with screen. I did something similar on my tank, since I had over the top returns at the front and back. I also made the top in 2 pieces, so it would be easier to lift off. I also painted the screen frame black to match the eggcrate. This is how it came out.

ScreenTop1.jpg

ScreenTop2.jpg

This is the "Gutter Guard" that I got from Lowe's to go under the eggcrate to keep my wrasses in. Plus, I used a lot of small black zip ties (also from Lowes).

screenTop3.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a (I think lol) 3/8 acrylic on both of my tanks. It doesn’t sag. On both tanks I cut a two piece , a large front and then back.
My 55 has a brace , to the lid is four pieces total.
The 55 is sumped so I only had to cut out a few spots in the back for overs flow and wires.
The 30 is non sumped with a tunze comline skimmer and hOB Refugium so the cut out was also minimal.

The plan with summer coming (cooling fans ) is to remove material in the center of each acrylic and add BRS netting. The prototype don’t sag but I did leave enough material to to keep it rigid, similar to Mats designs at Octo...

OP
OP
Maggie321

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like all these ideas!
Someone did send me a link to an acrylic piano hinge that is 24" long which is practically perfect and it's only $2. I think I will get a couple of those to incorporate into the top. I worry most about condensation and blocking the light. I think I'll have enough of it open that it will hopefully have good enough airflow to stop some of that.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get bird or deer netting a lowes or hd a roll is cheap and in all sizes

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good so far. I lost 3 wrasses in a week even with the brs net kit. finally pulled the trigger and got one from octo aquatics.

Honeycombz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Check out TopLids on Instagram and Facebook they do some nice lids

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back