Making a display sump... Could it help you in the long run?

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy thought...

I've always loved the look of these beautiful sumps with immaculate equipment in it and it's been made to be on display just like the tank.

Obviously, a setup like that requires consistent maintenance on the sump to keep it looking so sparkly!

Do you think that having a display sump would maybe force you to maintain your sump area better and hence force you to maintain your system better?

Also, if you have a sump which is pimped out and on display I'd like to hear if it has helped you to keep on track with maintenance.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would definitely force me to keep up on it. But an open sump with animals is impossible for me.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an open sump area under my tank. Has made it easy for me to both keep it clean and notice issues with it. Does take a little bit more maintenance, have to clean the glass of salt build up and such. I appreciated being able to super easily see when my filter socks started to overflow to change them out.

Part of why I took my tank down is because my sump area has started to look terrible. As I've slowly added equipment I have wires all over the place and its.... Tacky. When i get the sump drained and moved I want to make it more appealing to look at. Gets the cords moved and organized, drill some holes in the stand for power management and what not.

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy thought...

I've always loved the look of these beautiful sumps with immaculate equipment in it and it's been made to be on display just like the tank.

Obviously, a setup like that requires consistent maintenance on the sump to keep it looking so sparkly!

Do you think that having a display sump would maybe force you to maintain your sump area better and hence force you to maintain your system better?

Also, if you have a sump which is pimped out and on display I'd like to hear if it has helped you to keep on track with maintenance.
I like these setups... I have a 6’ 100 gallon sump for my frag system and keep it immaculate... they are pretty sweet when you put time in them... Just keep in mind the more you add to them the more work there is involved and the harder the maintenance is on them.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back