Making custom improvements to your tank: Have you made any modifications to your aquarium that have proven to be successful?

Have you made any modifications to your aquarium that have proven to be successful?

• Yes, I have made modifications to my tank.

Votes: 114 73.5%
  • Yes, I have had others make modifications to my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • No, my tank does not have any modifications.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took every successful mod I've made over the last 10-15 years and incorporated them in one custom built tank. Can't wait to get it set up!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
drilled my 40b, did my own DIY sump(although it was already cut, i just put silicone it place), plumbing,

bureau13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a euro-braced acrylic tank, and I wanted to use lights that mount over a rimless tank. I had a friend cut me some strips of 1/2" acrylic that he had lying around and glued them to my tank with acrylic cement. Initially I had two, but I was pretty sure I would get a third light so I have a small strip in the middle and two longer strips for the left and right position, then glued them all to the top of the Eurobrace, flush with the back side of the tank. This allowed me to place the two lights in the placed to get most coverage over the whole tank, and then move them outwards when I got the third light fixture. Works perfectly.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone Glued Glass Blocks to the underside of the Eurobracing. Made Three Acrylic Bridges, one is a Spare. Three Glass Tops, Glass cut and Edged at Local Glass Shop. BTW, this doesn’t alter the Structure in anyway.
IMG_0288.jpeg

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much of my set up is DIY but this is probably the most labor intensive (and bizarre) one. I wanted to alternate the flow from one side to the other in the DT but didn't want a bunch of wave makers hanging in the tank. So made this to divert the flow from the return pump.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t imagine being in the hobby very long and not modifying the tanks , I normally modify the room it’s in too lol lol

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a CADE1800. The tank comes from the factory with the overflow on the left and the return on the right. I was not happy with that arrangement with all flow in only one direction so I rigged up a 90d bend off the OEM return to a straight pipe running above the top off reservoir reaching to the center and added another 90d with LocLine to go through the lid and into the tank so that the return water would be more equally distributed.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I built the hood, made the light rack for the viparspectra lights, all of the plumbing is custom. Built a closed loop system. Made the 40 breeder refugium. Very happy with the system. The stand was a box store used stand. I reinforced with 2x4's on the inside. I chose to have the refugium on the side basically because after all of the reinforcement there was no room for a sump. Tank, stand, skimmer and old pukani rock were all used 100.00 OfferUp deal.

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal overflow, the sump, smart skimmer waster collector, automatic filter roller for 4" sock hole.
Do you mind explaining what a smart skimmer Easter collector is for me? Thank you!

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted “other” because my tank is only 10 months old so all I have modified so far is equipment upgrades as I learn more and more from you guys.

I am currently attempting to research and watch as many videos as I can on sumps. I want to build one for my 40G breeder before I start adding coral. I’m not worried about the plumbing part (husband is a master plumber and runs his own business). I just need to decide on the setup. I really like CA’s custom sumps with the individual containers. They are crazy expensive though.

But ideally, I would like to build a similar setup with individual containers that connect to one another. If I can source quality and safe materials.

I also want to install a recirculating CO2 scrubber. My current skimmer is the HOB Octo 1000 Classic so I’m pretty sure I will need to upgrade that (again).

**Edited to say that I new absolutely nothing when I started this tank in January. I came home on my birthday to an empty aquarium, salt, test kits, and bags of sand on the floor (present from husband). He said “you always wanted one so it’s up to you to figure it all out.” Lol.

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my old 400 gallon system (I miss it) I had a great water change system. I had two brute trash cans with float valves coming from the RODI. One I would put salt in, other was top off. Each trash can had a pump running to the sump. There was also a pump in the sump running directly to the drain in my sink. I put all the pumps on a DJ light controller. So to top off I just flipped a switch. I had a marking on my sump that was exactly 40 gallons. To do a water change I just flipped on the pump in the sump and drained it to the mark. Then I would flip on the pump from the salt trash can to refill. It wasnt an auto water change system, but it was the easiest water changes I had ever done. Just flip switches!!!

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind explaining what a smart skimmer Easter collector is for me? Thank you!

Is a container with a float switch connected to the cup of the skimmer via the cup drain tube. When container is full of gunk from the skimmer the float switch turn off the skimmer so it does not overflow. I use it since my skimmer cup is small and i'm lazy. Smart just because is connected via a smart relay so i can control it from remote and i get a notification when is full.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a simple braced Aqueon 56 gallon column. I added an Eshopps overflow box for a sump, which is an old 30 gallon seahorse tank that I used to have. I drilled holes in the standpipe to reduce drain noise. I also added a reverse durso in the sump to stop the flushing noise in the drain, which was an important modification.

Also I drilled a hole through the living room floor so the sump and water change system could be in the basement. This is by far the best modification I made. Water changes are easy and quick with no heavy lifting plus the living room is spared salt water spills.

Reefifier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I added sodium hydroxide to my dosing regimen in my acro heavy display tank (180g Waterbox). I am transitioning off soda ash, still use a little during daylight hours for alkalinity (when I dont need the ph boost) and then go heavy dosing with sodium hydroxide during lights out period. I did this to get better ph contol, I was having swings 7.7- 8.3. I now maintain ph 8.2-8.37 during 24 hour period. I based the mix off Randy's New 2 part/BRS 3 part dosing.
So far this has worked great.

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added sodium hydroxide to my dosing regimen in my acro heavy display tank (180g Waterbox). I am transitioning off soda ash, still use a little during daylight hours for alkalinity (when I dont need the ph boost) and then go heavy dosing with sodium hydroxide during lights out period. I did this to get better ph contol, I was having swings 7.7- 8.3. I now maintain ph 8.2-8.37 during 24 hour period. I based the mix off Randy's New 2 part/BRS 3 part dosing.
So far this has worked great.
I dose sodium hydroxide as well. never thought of only doing it at night. Great tip!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back