Making my own trace mix

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Just fine tuning what my tank needs trace wise and was thinking could I mix the 3 and make them into a drop solution in a glass bottle with pipette. I’m looking at mixing iron, iodine and manganese? My recipe would be 17.7ml iron, 7.44ml iodine & 2.9ml manganese. Top that solution up to 50ml with RO water & I’d be using 8 drops a day. Any thoughts thanks

OP
OP
Frag_mad

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future reference if anybody reads this thread the answer no I can’t mix these 3 I think...

The reason been that iodine is a negative ion and iron & manganese are positive ions. So it’s highly likely that precipitation will occur.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix those if you use appropriate forms. There are several threads in this forum on DIY trace element mixes.

The complexity is going to be redox reactions between the trace metals, and even with iodine if you elect the wrong forms. For example, mixing Fe++ (ferrous iron, which is generally more soluble than ferric iron, Fe+++) with Lugols (contains some I2), you may oxidize the iron to ferric iron.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back