Making Randy's Recipe #1 with metric measurements and products available in the UK

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy. Thanks for helping me with my questions from yesterday. I’m working on your higher PH version. I’m buying all the additives from one company. For the calcium chloride dihydrate plus, is that the same thing as Calcium Carbonate? And for the magnesium chloride hexahydrate, is that the same as Magnesium Sulfate? Lastly, do you suggest purchasing a scale that measures in grams?

No, calcium carbonate is like a coral skeleton and won’t dissolve.

Magnesium sulfate is different than magnesium chloride, but can be used. It’s just not as perfect.

A scale is good, but measuring by solid volume is ok.

Marshall53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, calcium carbonate is like a coral skeleton and won’t dissolve.

Magnesium sulfate is different than magnesium chloride, but can be used. It’s just not as perfect.

A scale is good, but measuring by solid volume is ok.
Thanks! How many cups is equal to 283 grams of sodium hydroxide? Google says there are 128 grams of dry goods per cup. Just want to get this right.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! How many cups is equal to 283 grams of sodium hydroxide? Google says there are 128 grams of dry goods per cup. Just want to get this right.

I've not weighed it myself to get a dry volume and weight measurement.

Not sure what you googled, but the answer always depends on the dry good used.

Marshall53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cool. I don’t have a scale that measures grams. I see your calcium measurement per gallon is 2.5 cups. How many cups is equal to 283 grams of sodium hydroxide?

Marshall53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure what you googled, but the answer always depends on the dry good
Cool. I don’t have a scale that measures grams. I see your calcium measurement per gallon is 2.5 cups. How many cups is equal to 283 grams of sodium hydroxide?
I will get a scale that measures grams. I’m dosing 8,000 ml of kalkwasser at night. You suggested using the sodium hydroxide 2 part and using kalk. How much 2 part would you suggest and how much kalk per day? Would you dose the 2 part 24/7 and kalk at night? Thanks

Marshall53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will get a scale that measures grams. I’m dosing 8,000 ml of kalkwasser at night. You suggested using the sodium hydroxide 2 part and using kalk. How much 2 part would you suggest and how much kalk per day? Would you dose the 2 part 24/7 and kalk at night? Thanks

Marshall53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry

Sorry for double posting. I’m newer to this forum. Thanks for your help though

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what the bulk density of the material you have is so without measuring it, I do not know what volume comprises 283 grams.

As an estimate, you can look up related products. I see a range posted of 1.1 to 1.16 g/mL.

So I'd suggest that 283 grams is about 250 mL of dry sodium hydroxide.

Marshall53

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what the bulk density of the material you have is so without measuring it, I do not know what volume comprises 283 grams.

As an estimate, you can look up related products. I see a range posted of 1.1 to 1.16 g/mL.

So I'd suggest that 283 grams is about 250 mL of dry sodium hydroxide.

Makes since! I will use eye glass and gloves when handling product. What happens if you get the solution on your skin?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes since! I will use eye glass and gloves when handling product. What happens if you get the solution on your skin?

On skin, it will feel soapy. It turns skin fats into soaps. Rinse really well with water. Keep it out of your eyes.

Think of it like clogged drain opener.

vandanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, thanks for all the info very interesting! Question for you, would I be able to use sodium bicarb, calcium chloride and then a commercial bottle for magnesium. Or would I have to do the 5:3 mag/ salt ratio.

if I can keep my Red Sea mag and won’t affect the chemistry, that would be great @Randy Holmes-Farley

thanks a lot!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, thanks for all the info very interesting! Question for you, would I be able to use sodium bicarb, calcium chloride and then a commercial bottle for magnesium. Or would I have to do the 5:3 mag/ salt ratio.

if I can keep my Red Sea mag and won’t affect the chemistry, that would be great @Randy Holmes-Farley

thanks a lot!

Which commercial bottle?

It will be fine for magnesium, but likely less than optimal for the chloride to sulfate ratio long term.

vandanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which commercial bottle?

It will be fine for magnesium, but likely less than optimal for the chloride to sulfate ratio long term.
Thanks for your reply The commercial product would be foundation C Red Sea. Let me know if you think will cause issues.

trying to get my head around it all. Let’s say with the calcium chloride, could I dose 400 g/l and mix accordingly with my tank requirements. Or do I have to follow exactly how the recipe is labelled. Appreciate the help! @Randy Holmes-Farley

vandanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have an easier way of understanding this now.

going to add soda bicarbonate

vandanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going to add soda bicarbonate 84 grams per litre,

400 grams a litre of calcium chloride.

Could I use Red Sea foundation sea. Or would I use magnesium chloride sulfate 5:3 or 10:1?

hope that makes sense and appreciate in advance!!

@Randy Holmes-Farley

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back