Making Water

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,
What is the best and simplest way to make water for my 15-20 gallon tank? I used to have a big RODI system for my 75 gallon back in the day... Is there a nano version of any RODI system these days ? Interested in your thoughts Thanks!

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy ro water at the supermarket. Whats your home tds? Run it through a di resin block and be done. Lol. Get a tds meter too. Lol
Hths
D

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people with smaller tanks have turned 4 stage RODI into portable units on carts. Tough to get away from the bulk.

You can always buy distilled water and it's just as good.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a little one, can't say how well it works though. https://aquaticlife.com/collections...ge-compact-reverse-osmosis-systems-cartridges

If you can though, might as well do a 5 stage, then you get longer filter life and better water quality. The BRS 5 stage is legit, that i can vouch for.
yea i have the 3 stage rodi from BRS.. but all the filters are old and dirty from my old tank.. can i just replace the filters so i dont have to buy an entire new system ?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i have the 3 stage rodi from BRS.. but all the filters are old and dirty from my old tank.. can i just replace the filters so i dont have to buy an entire new system ?

yes but the seals may need replacing too.

the water from a rodi unit doesn’t know if it’s going in a small or a big tank, it needs to be the same quality for both, I would not go for a small unit, as they are compromised in some way.

Last edited:

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the old rodi unit should be fine. I’m using a 6 stage BRS unit for my nuvo20 and it just sits under my bathroom sink when I need to make water I unroll the ro lines and make water in the shower in case I forget about it.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes but the seals may need replacing too.

the water from a rodi unit doesn’t know if it’s going in a small or a big tank, it needs to be the same quality for both, I would notion for a small unit, as they are compromised in some way.
which unit from BRS would you suggest for a 15-20 gallon nano ?

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! I had one from wayback i was using for freshwater discus. It sat for a few years before i got it back online for reefing. Just clean it and replace all the media/membrane and make sure the seals on the canisters are still good and you are good as new!

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using their 75GPD 5 stage for my 25gal tank. I've added a booster pump though because making 40 gallons of RODI used to take >20hrs, after adding the booster, it's about 3 hrs for 20 gallons.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it isnt about size so much as water quality. If you are starting with decent water(lower tds, like sub ~150 or so, and no chloramines) you would probably be best served from both a price and quality standpoint just adding a dual stage di after your current 3 stage. All that buying a new one would do is give you a new canister configuration.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m in the UK so unfortunately don’t use BRS but this one seems very good and seems to match the one I have. Remember your water pressure needs to be fairly good around 70psi is good, if not it will be slow producing the water and you will not be getting the best out of the unit, a booster pump is well worth getting.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using their 75GPD 5 stage for my 25gal tank. I've added a booster pump though because making 40 gallons of RODI used to take >20hrs, after adding the booster, it's about 3 hrs for 20 gallons.
where can i get a booster? and you install it right onto the sink ?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it have to be small? I had a 20 gallon brute but still had a 4 stage RODI. Honestly I'm thinking of trying to go bigger this time even with a smaller tank to one large batch of fresh water to last a month so less need to flush each time.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it have to be small? I had a 20 gallon brute but still had a 4 stage RODI. Honestly I'm thinking of trying to go bigger this time even with a smaller tank to one large batch of fresh water to last a month so less need to flush each time.
im goign to just buy the 4 stage BRS RODI system. Any others that compete with the BRS ?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back