Male and female blue throats?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a male and female pair of blue throats. Had them about 3 months. They were very tiny when I got them, still tiny! But theve been chasing eachother around the tank recently and the female looks to be developing a blue throat. Shes still more gray/blue in body style than the male who has that green and bright blue throat. Just want to make sure that she is indeed a female and not a juv male that was miss sexed. The first one I know is the male. The second down is the one Im not sure of

IMG_3526.jpeg IMG_3522.jpeg IMG_3521.jpeg IMG_3519.jpeg IMG_3520.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those pics are of different fish, those are both males. This happens many times as you can not definitely sex a female until they are around 4.5". The angst will only increase as they mature, rarely does this work out.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those pics are of different fish, those are both males. This happens many times as you can not definitely sex a female until they are around 4.5". The angst will only increase as they mature, rarely does this work out.
Well crap thats what I was afraid of. Here is them side by side.

Attachments

• IMG_3536.jpeg
    IMG_3536.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3532.jpeg
    IMG_3532.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3536.jpeg
    IMG_3536.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3537.jpeg
    IMG_3537.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard part is the one I thought was female has a more blue/gray coloring that I see online when looking at females. Theres also some pictures where they are a silver/white. But it very clearly has a developing blue throat which prompted me to ask

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard part is the one I thought was female has a more blue/gray coloring that I see online when looking at females. Theres also some pictures where they are a silver/white. But it very clearly has a developing blue throat which prompted me to ask

The body color has nothing to do with it, as it can vary for many reasons. Not only do the females not have a beard, their tail color would be more of a rust color and there would be no yellow border on their dorsal and anal fins. I have seen males display male colors as small as 2" and not displaying colors to over 4". The rate of maturity is also varying, I've seen this happen countless times. Here where I live the whole pair of blue throats was a big trend for a while, and I warned incessantly that you could not definitely sex a female until about 4.5". I can't tell you how many people didn't listen, and regretted it. Online I see this pop up pretty frequently.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The body color has nothing to do with it, as it can vary for many reasons. Not only do the females not have a beard, their tail color would be more of a rust color and there would be no yellow border on their dorsal and anal fins. I have seen males display male colors as small as 2" and not displaying colors to over 4". The rate of maturity is also varying, I've seen this happen countless times. Here where I live the whole pair of blue throats was a big trend for a while, and I warned incessantly that you could not definitely sex a female until about 4.5". I can't tell you how many people didn't listen, and regretted it. Online I see this pop up pretty frequently.
Yes Ive read that as well which is why I was looking at them closely to watch for that. Ill be trying to catch one and take him to the LFS so they dont fight. I did notice the fin thing when I first got them too, I just thought females had the colors on the fins too. Thank you, I was expecting people to say it was I just wanted to make sure before I go trying to catch one. Maybe see if I can find a female somewhere!

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sorry they are definitely both males :(
Lion king is right about how to ID them
Hope you find a female.

These are some of my favorite fish that I do not own, but really want to

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sorry they are definitely both males :(
Lion king is right about how to ID them
Hope you find a female.

These are some of my favorite fish that I do not own, but really want to
Yeah I really want a pair. Ill have to see if one of my LFS stores has a female! But both are very calm triggers And super active bow that they are comfortable!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ordered a male and female pair of blue throats. Had them about 3 months. They were very tiny when I got them, still tiny! But theve been chasing eachother around the tank recently and the female looks to be developing a blue throat. Shes still more gray/blue in body style than the male who has that green and bright blue throat. Just want to make sure that she is indeed a female and not a juv male that was miss sexed. The first one I know is the male. The second down is the one Im not sure of

IMG_3526.jpeg IMG_3522.jpeg IMG_3521.jpeg IMG_3519.jpeg
Looks like two males. This is a typical female w/ male below:

1703210226462.png
1703210245863.png

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like two males. This is a typical female w/ male below:

1703210226462.png
1703210245863.png
Ah okay, the fins really give it away then like lion king was saying. Both had the rim on the fins so now that I know females dont should be easier to tell (hopefully)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay, the fins really give it away then like lion king was saying. Both had the rim on the fins so now that I know females dont should be easier to tell (hopefully)

A male less than 4-4.5" can look just like a female.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back