Male clownfish on side

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have 2 ocellaris clownfish, over the last week my male clownfish has been acting funny, he will lay down on the rock on his side and get back up and swim around a little. Also a week ago I got new lights, this changed my clownfishes behavior. Before I got my new lights the female clownfish would swim around the overflow, but would really explore the whole tanks. The male on the other hand would just stay near the top of the water right next to the overflow. They would eat normally, and act normal. When I got my new lights (2 hydra 32s) The clownfish seemed to be much more active, swimming all over the tank, and not staying in one spot. But the male will sometimes just lay down on the rocks and sit there. He is eating normally and when he is not laying down he is exploring the tank. Also there is no sign of Brooklynella on the fish.

Tank info:
75 gallons
Fish:
2x ocellaris clownfish
2x firefish
1x court jester goby
1x cherub angelfish

And I might add that my clownfish have been around since my tank started (about a year ago)

Parameters:
Alk: 8.0
Nitrate: 2-3
Ammonia 0-0.1

Sorry for the bad video quality

Any suggestions would be appreciated

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown used to do that in an empty clamshell.

If it looks healthy, is eating, and not breathing rapidly I'd chalk it up to crazy clownfish behavior.

My current 10yr old+ clown pretty much stays within an 8" area of the 300g tank.

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown used to do that in an empty clamshell.

If it looks healthy, is eating, and not breathing rapidly I'd chalk it up to crazy clownfish behavior.

My current 10yr old+ clown pretty much stays within an 8" area of the 300g tank.
Thanks, I forgot to tell everyone that he is breathing heavily, but then again It could just be some wacky behavior.

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moonlight on at night maybe he just didn't get any sleep.

Attachments

• IMG_6104.JPG
    IMG_6104.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok now im worried.. the female has been chasing him around the tank and now he looks like this:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have 2 ocellaris clownfish, over the last week my male clownfish has been acting funny, he will lay down on the rock on his side and get back up and swim around a little. Also a week ago I got new lights, this changed my clownfishes behavior. Before I got my new lights the female clownfish would swim around the overflow, but would really explore the whole tanks. The male on the other hand would just stay near the top of the water right next to the overflow. They would eat normally, and act normal. When I got my new lights (2 hydra 32s) The clownfish seemed to be much more active, swimming all over the tank, and not staying in one spot. But the male will sometimes just lay down on the rocks and sit there. He is eating normally and when he is not laying down he is exploring the tank. Also there is no sign of Brooklynella on the fish.

Tank info:
75 gallons
Fish:
2x ocellaris clownfish
2x firefish
1x court jester goby
1x cherub angelfish

And I might add that my clownfish have been around since my tank started (about a year ago)

Parameters:
Alk: 8.0
Nitrate: 2-3
Ammonia 0-0.1

Sorry for the bad video quality

Any suggestions would be appreciated
That aggression isn't good at all. I think the smaller clown is being submissive to the larger one. If that doesn't stop, the larger one could possibly kill it. Usually, when a person is close to the tank, clowns stop fighting to watch the person. That fact that the bullying continued while you were filming it means they are really going at it. I would separate them....

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, should I put the female in some sort of acclimation box?
A tank divider would be better, but for now, a covered acclimation box would be o.k. for the short term.

Jay

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, ill try that.
In these cases i often use plastic screen stuff and just divide the tank in half if you can. Depends on your other fish etc.

That guy is definitely stressed.

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that the male has been more active, but sometimes when I go in the room he will be resting on a rock, not breathing heavily, and not on his side. When he sees me he gets right back up and swims around the tank. I did try releasing the female, and it was fine for about a half a day, until the male started lying down again. Also, at night usually he lays down on his side, is this because he is sleeping? Do fish sleep? In the future I may get an anemone to provide shelter, when do you think I can let the female out?

Thank you for your help.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that the male has been more active, but sometimes when I go in the room he will be resting on a rock, not breathing heavily, and not on his side. When he sees me he gets right back up and swims around the tank. I did try releasing the female, and it was fine for about a half a day, until the male started lying down again. Also, at night usually he lays down on his side, is this because he is sleeping? Do fish sleep? In the future I may get an anemone to provide shelter, when do you think I can let the female out?

Thank you for your help.
They do "sleep". And will do so in the craziest of positions including laying on objects or the sand

OP
OP
noobreefer2

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, update time.
I kept putting the female in the box, and it temporarily fixed it, one day when I fed in the morning the rest of the day the female was not as aggressive. I stopped feeding in the morning and the female went back to harassing, I finally put her in the sump for a few days and when I let her out things started to even out. As of now, the two fish don't really stay together and the male usually sits on the rocks by himself (breathing normally) while the female is on the other side of the tank, but they both are up and alert when I feed. Is it normal that they are not together now?

I really appreciate your help, some things are more simple than you think, I'm so glad he did not have a disease.
Thanks for resolving this problem with me.

Back