Male or female fuzzy dwarf lionfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be too soon to tell, but wondering male or female? I know males have 6-10 stripes on the pectoral spines/fins and that their fins are past the base of the caudal peduncle. Not sure which side is considered the base and whether or not you count the stripe at the edge of the pectoral fin and the skinny one closest to the body. Here’s photos:
D0E3C7D7-E76E-4A3A-A7F8-E849907ECAA7.jpeg

4BB753E1-8AC6-4380-8CD2-6A63B875FD4B.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are they, it's really not definitive until they are around 4.5". I see 5 définitive stripes, if they are 4.5" or more this would be a female. The pectoral fins length are a secondary indicator to the stripes. If they are smaller than 4.5" you may see more stripes develope if they are male, or if female as they grow larger you will see the pectoral fins won't be past the caudal peduncle. If they are past 4.5" you'll also see a more square larger head in a male.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s small still. He/she’s like 3”. I held up tape measure next to it while it was hanging upside down next to the glass.

Last edited:
OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are they, it's really not definitive until they are around 4.5". I see 5 définitive stripes, if they are 4.5" or more this would be a female. The pectoral fins length are a secondary indicator to the stripes. If they are smaller than 4.5" you may see more stripes develope if they are male, or if female as they grow larger you will see the pectoral fins won't be past the caudal peduncle. If they are past 4.5" you'll also see a more square larger head in a male.
84FD73A2-B498-4A19-BCDB-99E91104B3D7.jpeg
Little guy was brown/white at the store but now that it’s home and happily eating it’s white became red. Even the face is red. Any thoughts? Maybe it’s happier. It’s swimming around hunting live shrimp and hanging upside down in it’s cave. I’m going to put together a before and after photo.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a thread a while back about the coloration, Red Fuzzy | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum
What are you feeding; live ghost shrimp, fresh shrimp, and fresh salmon will add to enhancement of that red color. If you are feeding dead, you may also add pellets by stuffing them in the chunks of food, you will see alot of pellet food that says enhances color, will add astaxanthin.

I've seen some males develop their stripes sometimes much early on, less than 4". But it's really not definitive until they are around 4.5" whether it's a female.. When that 6th stripe is sometimes not really fully there, there can be a question to as a male or female. That's where the length of the pectoral fins and head size and shape come into play.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a thread a while back about the coloration, Red Fuzzy | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum
What are you feeding; live ghost shrimp, fresh shrimp, and fresh salmon will add to enhancement of that red color. If you are feeding dead, you may also add pellets by stuffing them in the chunks of food, you will see alot of pellet food that says enhances color, will add astaxanthin.

I've seen some males develop their stripes sometimes much early on, less than 4". But it's really not definitive until they are around 4.5" whether it's a female.. When that 6th stripe is sometimes not really fully there, there can be a question to as a male or female. That's where the length of the pectoral fins and head size and shape come into play.
Yes, there’s that 6th not-quite stripe near the body. Guess time will tell if that will become more definitive. We tried feeding the frozen/defrosted silversides but it had zero interest. We ended up trying some of the live brine shrimp that we have for our reef tank and it gobbled a whole bunch of that. I’m going to read that thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It goes bananas over live brine shrimp. We want to feed it live feeder fish and not frozen food. We only bought the frozen silversides because that’s what the store had been feeding it and wanted to have that as backup but with the plan to feed live foods.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there’s that 6th not-quite stripe near the body. Guess time will tell if that will become more definitive. We tried feeding the frozen/defrosted silversides but it had zero interest. We ended up trying some of the live brine shrimp that we have for our reef tank and it gobbled a whole bunch of that. I’m going to read that thread.

They won't live long on brine shrimp. If you read through some my threads you'll see I address feeding alot. Almost always in the beginning they will need live food like ghosties and/or guppies. Feeding dead foods will be at your discretion, bit I'm not a fan. I discuss the pit falls in the beginning of thinking they are getting enough from the water column. If you do decide to go the dead food route, they will need to be target fed chunks of seafood. Anything you feed from the water column like live brine shrimp, mysis, etc; will just keep him hanging on, he will eventually starve.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't live long on brine shrimp. If you read through some my threads you'll see I address feeding alot. Almost always in the beginning they will need live food like ghosties and/or guppies. Feeding dead foods will be at your discretion, bit I'm not a fan. I discuss the pit falls in the beginning of thinking they are getting enough from the water column. If you do decide to go the dead food route, they will need to be target fed chunks of seafood. Anything you feed from the water column like live brine shrimp, mysis, etc; will just keep him hanging on, he will eventually starve.
Right. In my post below I mentioned we only bought silversides because the store had been feeding that. We have intent on feeding live foods including feeder fish. Only bought the silversides as back up as that’s what it was currently eating.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It goes bananas over live brine shrimp. We want to feed it live feeder fish and not frozen food. We only bought the frozen silversides because that’s what the store had been feeding it and wanted to have that as backup but with the plan to feed live foods.
Ghost shrimp, guppies, and mollies; please do not rosies or goldfish. You read through more of threads for more in depth info on why. These guy most time will go through a reset when moved, that's why he may have been eating silversides at the lfs, but now seems disinterested. Getting them to take silversides and other chunks of seafood isn't a bad idea, as a supplement. it will also get you by if your live food source is not available. I've post so much about feeding these guys you may find some interest if you click my name and "find all threads".

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost shrimp, guppies, and mollies; please do not rosies or goldfish. You read through more of threads for more in depth info on why. These guy most time will go through a reset when moved, that's why he may have been eating silversides at the lfs, but now seems disinterested. Getting them to take silversides and other chunks of seafood isn't a bad idea, as a supplement. it will also get you by if your live food source is not available. I've post so much about feeding these guys you may find some interest if you click my name and "find all threads".
Sweet, thanks for the info.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FF51D9E6-3710-428C-AD5E-9EA154C96D83.jpeg
B07C9F58-DEAB-4B2A-8767-87B07EBF74D1.jpeg

I see 6 definitive stripes here in these 2 photos, if not 7 stripes (if you count the one near the edge that’s not connected to the edge) on the fully expanded pectoral fin. What do you think @lion king

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is 6 bands, 6 bands is the ambiguous band, can be male or female. Usually at 3" with 6 full bands and a jagged 7th with long pectoral fins it is a male.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is like 5-5.5", if you look closely he has about 8 maybe 9 bands.

20210214_213537.jpg
I see 9 bands if you count the “jagged” band near the edge. Just how mine has that jagged 7th band near the edge. I find I get a more accurate band count when looking at the pectoral fins from the back vs the front. Your guy is very red.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back