Male or female mandarin

Kirstin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20AC922E-56A7-40AC-B72D-B8D6E18F6916.jpeg

Hi, can anyone tell me if my mandarin is male or female? There is no real dorsal fin just the small spike pictured. I have had “him” about a year. Thanks

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say female, but if you're trying to pair get a female and see how they act. Or get a male and him in a small critter keeper so tgey can see eachother first incase its a male but males usually have wider fins even if their longest spine is damaged

OP
OP
K

Kirstin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say female, but if you're trying to pair get a female and see how they act. Or get a male and him in a small critter keeper so tgey can see eachother first incase its a male but males usually have wider fins even if their longest spine is damaged
Thank you

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably can’t be 100 percent certain as it looks like the dorsal was damaged at some point. When mandarins fight they will latch on to each other’s fins and rip parts off in some cases.

Beahvior wise a male may try and show off and intimidate its reflection.

OP
OP
K

Kirstin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably can’t be 100 percent certain as it looks like the dorsal was damaged at some point. When mandarins fight they will latch on to each other’s fins and rip parts off in some cases.

Beahvior wise a male may try and show off and intimidate its reflection.
We got Spock at about 1” long and the fin has always looked that way. It rarely postures at its reflection. We had a scooter blenny that would regularly posture and strut. This mandarin does not show that behavior.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got Spock at about 1” long and the fin has always looked that way. It rarely postures at its reflection. We had a scooter blenny that would regularly posture and strut. This mandarin does not show that behavior.
Probably female then based on behavior :)

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have to keep an eye on him! Sometimes he gets a little too distracted eating pods lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back