Malfunctioning MP10wES Pumps

Spyderturbo007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a terrible time with my Apex WXM + MP10wES pumps and hoping someone can help. I've had them for years with absolutely no issues. Then a few weeks ago, they began going nuts. I've had them set for Reef Crest (max 75%) when the lights are on and then Lagoon (max 35%) overnight. I found them doing this when they switched to night mode (Lagoon) where one would spike to 90% when the max was set to 35%.

I assumed the WXM was bad, so I purchased a used on from someone here. I deleted the old WXM from the Apex, installed the new one, cleared the memory from the MP10s, added them and recreated my profiles (Reef crest during the day and Lagoon at night).

Unfortunately that didn't work and I'm finding them doing this at night. I have no clue what they are doing now spiking to 100% for no reason and the other going to a pink LED.

Here are the new pump profiles. The old ones were setup manually before Neptune had a wizard.

Master Pump.JPG

Slave Pump.JPG

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love the help!

Thanks!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I;m certainly no expert, but run a similar schedule. I only have 2 points on my graphs though. One for lagoon at night, and one for reefcrest during the day.

I know all those points should matter, but maybe try deleting all but the 2 that switch modes and adjust the times.

Have you tried deleting then adding back the firmware for the vortechs through the WXM and classic dashboard?

OP
OP
S

Spyderturbo007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Before swapping out the WXM, the profiles were manually programmed and didn't use the wizard, so I'm thinking that might not be it, but it's worth a try.

I haven't done anything with the firmware. I saw this on the Neptune Apex website and didn't want to brick my pumps. I also don't have a ReefLink, which I think is required to flash the pumps.

Do NOT attempt to update the Firmware on the pump unless it was manufactured before April 2010.

Does anyone know if the MP10wQD upgrade works with the WXM module? If so, I'll just buy new ones and swap them out. It looks like they are only $52.

Last edited:

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well at this point a bricked pump is no better then a malfunctioning pump.

I have deleted and added the firmware a few times to my mp10wes a few times(wxm fails to recognize them after a power failure) without an issue. Mine were manufactured may of 2015.

Actually now that I think about it, the newer firmware would be for the mobius availability. So when doing the firmware update, it may update it to that version.

OP
OP
S

Spyderturbo007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I go about updating the pump firmware? I thought you need a ReefLink to do the upgrade?

I also modified my post above which you might not have seen, but do you know if the MP10wQD upgrade will work with the WXM?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WQD is the pumps I have and know they work with the WXM.

Forgot about the older pumps not having the QD(quiet drive) driver.

If the pumps still work, it maybe the older ES driver that may have gone bad. I do know you can upgrade the ES pumps to the QD driver.

Maybe trying to contact ecotech(I've had great CS from them) to see if they have an option other then buying new pumps.

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not gonna be much help, I just added 2 new Gen 5 MP10's. Had to attempt to install firmware like 3 times. Once it acted up on its own, rest of the time its been okay. I have the 2 new ones on Mobious and the old 2 MP's on the reef link. I do not run any kind of controller, so not much help there.

OP
OP
S

Spyderturbo007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WQD is the pumps I have and know they work with the WXM.

Forgot about the older pumps not having the QD(quiet drive) driver.

If the pumps still work, it maybe the older ES driver that may have gone bad. I do know you can upgrade the ES pumps to the QD driver.

Maybe trying to contact ecotech(I've had great CS from them) to see if they have an option other then buying new pumps.

The pumps do work so maybe the wQD upgrade is the way to go. I did the "Contact Us" on their website so we'll see if they get back to me.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back