Mame style overflow problems

Treehrtsme

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 5, 2023
Messages
957
Reaction score
219
Location
Atlanta GA
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I have a 22 long rimless that already has been running but I want to add a sump. I bought a Viv overflow and have spent hours upon hours trying to figure out how to get it to work reliably and how to prevent it from overflowing my tank.

With the Venturi effect, the pump connected to the smaller diameter pipe going into the tube is simply pushing water through the flex tube connected to the larger overflow tube. I thought the purpose of pumping water through the Viv was in order to suck air out of the larger pipe and create a clean siphon. Is this how it's supposed to work? I've tried multiple different pumps dc ac different speeds etc. I was really hoping to go for a clean glass look with the Lily pipes as the return but I can't put any confidence in the viv overflow I have as it's running now. Has anyone use these recently and found a reliable way to keep the system going without overflowing? I thought about drilling it originally but I just wouldn't like the look of an overflow box on the tank like that. Any input or recommendations would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Also after a power outage can these actually restart themselves. Has anyone had success with this?
 
Last edited:
It's not going to stay clean glass look

Unless you clean it out every week

I thought about using it. But I am just not going to take it apart and clean it as much as it will need

Can't help you with it not working
 
I completely understand that aspect of it. I've had my Lily Pipes running for probably two or three weeks now and it's just starting to get dirty. Even if it was a weekly thing I wouldn't mind it. I get that glass and water makes algae, I was just more curious if there are people out there who use these and if there are any adjustment techniques positions, heights, etc that helped with this. Or if someone has ever bought one and can elaborate that it's just too complicated to be worth it that would be helpful information. Thanks?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 30.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new