OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, how long did it take for your custom aquarium to make and get delivered?

It was about 3 months from the first email to delivery. I will wait longer next time and order something a bit nicer from a different vendor. I wasn't 100% happy with this tank unfortunately. I personally spent more time building the stand, but working out of the apartment and utilizing borrowed tools really slowed me down. And I hate painting!! :mad:

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. I'm in a somewhat similar situation of having to re-setup a tank in an apartment. Were you worried about the ability of your floors to hold the weight? Did you get your leasing office to agree? I am running just an IM EXT 30L and EXT 25 now... wish I could have could just re-started bigger.

Are you just shooting through the glass btw or are you using one of those dslr mounts to shoot coral?

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. I'm in a somewhat similar situation of having to re-setup a tank in an apartment. Were you worried about the ability of your floors to hold the weight? Did you get your leasing office to agree? I am running just an IM EXT 30L and EXT 25 now... wish I could have could just re-started bigger.

I did discuss with the leasing office, but those original managers left years ago. It seems apartment employees don't last longer than a year or less. I'm 99% certain which way the joists run due to steel beams in the garage and drywall work in the first floor ceilings below. I setup the tank perpendicular to joists and with the wider footprint it is more evenly distributed than a taller standard tank. I would sleep easier if it were in my own home or on a ground floor as footsteps do ripple the water when the pumps are shut down.

Are you just shooting through the glass btw or are you using one of those dslr mounts to shoot coral?

I use the BaO camera tube, D750 and the latest Tamron 90mm. The tube really is a game changer for getting detail and color that isn't distorted by the glass. Anything shot through glass needs to be perpendicular to the glass and fairly close in my experience. The lens has image stabilizer technology and makes for really crisp shots without a tripod. I don't shoot the fish with the tube because that would be impossible, simply through the glass.

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, I used to be a Nikon shooter too but over the last two years switch to an all Fuji system. Will look into that camera tube. I loved my older Tamron 90mm, great lens.

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to find a coral with this color of gold/yellow. Very impressed so far.

JF Yellow Submarine
47438469201_46a690a744_h.jpg

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dugless, mind sharing your reasoning for choosing the GHL over the Apex? Was it just because the conversion rate was good and you were already purchasing the light overseas? Or did some features of the P4 outweigh the Apex for what you were looking for?

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dugless, mind sharing your reasoning for choosing the GHL over the Apex? Was it just because the conversion rate was good and you were already purchasing the light overseas? Or did some features of the P4 outweigh the Apex for what you were looking for?

I liked the cohesive nature of the unit. I could be wrong, but I felt like the Apex relied more heavily on additional modules/components outside the head unit. The Profilux seemed to have more built-in ports and offerings from the start. I also felt like the Profilux and its powerbars are a bit more robust than the Apex's offerings.

In my past experience with Apex, I had a head unit and an energy bar fail before hitting 5 years. These components were wall mounted away from any moisture so that was a bit of a let down. I think they released the new version right around the time I ordered my Profilux.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back