chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man

That tank looks just spectacular!
very good work and you can be really proud to have such a nice and thriving tank, WOW!

how do you control po4 and no3?

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man

That tank looks just spectacular!
very good work and you can be really proud to have such a nice and thriving tank, WOW!

how do you control po4 and no3?
This system is good about processing NO3, must have an aggressive denitrifying bacteria population naturally. It is well stocked with 14 anthias and 3 tangs, amongst a few other random fish. The PO4 is a different story. It can elevate up to 50-60ppb at times. I have to resort to GFO and water changes as I don't have a refugium. I've learned to use hardly any GFO at a time, typically 1/8 cup every month or so.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This system is good about processing NO3, must have an aggressive denitrifying bacteria population naturally. It is well stocked with 14 anthias and 3 tangs, amongst a few other random fish. The PO4 is a different story. It can elevate up to 50-60ppb at times. I have to resort to GFO and water changes as I don't have a refugium. I've learned to use hardly any GFO at a time, typically 1/8 cup every month or so.
Well, I have the same issue..
my po4 spikes at some days to 50ppb and I dont know why...
sometimes I have to dose po4 for about 0.04 a day.

Did you see any issues with spiking / unstable po4?

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have the same issue..
my po4 spikes at some days to 50ppb and I dont know why...
sometimes I have to dose po4 for about 0.04 a day.

Did you see any issues with spiking / unstable po4?
I'd guess your PO4 is not spiking, but instead your testing is providing different results. Unless you're running a refugium and it's eating up the PO4. Many test kits lack the pinpoint precision needed to produce the super consistent results. I consider my hanna checker as a trend test and remind myself not to lean on exact numbers. I treat many of my test kits in that fashion. Don't chase numbers and instead just remind yourself to stay within ranges, and if adjusting do it gradually. Don't rock the boat, doing anything fast will typically cause problems.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd guess your PO4 is not spiking, but instead your testing is providing different results. Unless you're running a refugium and it's eating up the PO4. Many test kits lack the pinpoint precision needed to produce the super consistent results. I consider my hanna checker as a trend test and remind myself not to lean on exact numbers. I treat many of my test kits in that fashion. Don't chase numbers and instead just remind yourself to stay within ranges, and if adjusting do it gradually. Don't rock the boat, doing anything fast will typically cause problems.
Well, usually the trend of testing was its being lower the day after. Thats why I did dose po4.
But sometimes it spikes to 40-50ppb and usually is around 20-25ppb (with dosing)
Well I mean its not that bad even with 40-50ppb and corals look all happy.
I dont run a refugium but I dose Carbon to reduce no3. Now after months of dosing carbon my no3 stays around 10-15

But its a good reminder with looking at the hanna the results as a trend.

Btw. all your corals look just unreal!
Is there any FTS? What system ar you using again? I missed that part.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back