Mammoth Nano SPS Reef

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for the answer. some had even told me that 4x39watt + 2x75 watts LED could be enough but I am doubtful about that

I'd like to clear up that a 4x39watt T5+2x75watt LED unit with 2 coral plus and two blue plus is adequate light for a 36x24x24 tank. I know this to be true as I have used one to grow SPS corals throughout and on the bottom of my tank for 2 years (you can check my threads). In fact, I have just paid for my 4ft tank upgrade and I intend to use the 36inch unit on that. I do however use all the LED channels at 100% except white which is at 25% (sort of copying the ecotech profiles). The over all intensity of the LEDs never went past 80% though. T5's on for 8 hrs per day. I did not have wall to wall corals (but could have) but don't like that look anyway.

Its a fantastic unit (I have the non-wifi version in white) for all the reasons Dugless has outlined.

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite fish. I've tried many times to catch him in his flashing state, but he always waits until the camera is put away. ;Snaphappy

Johnson's Wrasse
33675222128_c4868800d2_h.jpg

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered the betta trick? I don't have flashers so this is just speculation, but putting a mirror up to the tank was an absolute guarantee for a good fins-extended shot when I kept them back in the day.

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered the betta trick? I don't have flashers so this is just speculation, but putting a mirror up to the tank was an absolute guarantee for a good fins-extended shot when I kept them back in the day.

I've never tried the mirror, but the other four wrasses usually do the trick. Mostly at dusk they like to flash, but some days more than others. Another hurdle is the speed at which they like to dart around when doing so.

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to clear up that a 4x39watt T5+2x75watt LED unit with 2 coral plus and two blue plus is adequate light for a 36x24x24 tank. I know this to be true as I have used one to grow SPS corals throughout and on the bottom of my tank for 2 years (you can check my threads). In fact, I have just paid for my 4ft tank upgrade and I intend to use the 36inch unit on that. I do however use all the LED channels at 100% except white which is at 25% (sort of copying the ecotech profiles). The over all intensity of the LEDs never went past 80% though. T5's on for 8 hrs per day. I did not have wall to wall corals (but could have) but don't like that look anyway.

Its a fantastic unit (I have the non-wifi version in white) for all the reasons Dugless has outlined.

What is your tread?

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dugless sorry if it was answered before, but do you run any gfo or carbon on your system?

I run a small amount of GFO in a reactor based on my levels of PO4. I try to keep it in the .03-.07 window. Carbon is only used if I'm concerned about removing a foreign chemical, which typically is almost never.

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a small amount of GFO in a reactor based on my levels of PO4. I try to keep it in the .03-.07 window. Carbon is only used if I'm concerned about removing a foreign chemical, which typically is almost never.

Okay, cool. Thank you! I plan on running a tiny amount of GFO if my PO4 does ever get out of whack.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of my favorite fish. I've tried many times to catch him in his flashing state, but he always waits until the camera is put away. ;Snaphappy

Johnson's Wrasse
33675222128_c4868800d2_h.jpg
This is my favorite wrasse

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the tank? Did it recover?
It has not. Not sure what is to blame. I’ve done weekly water changes and kept my Alkalinity very stable and everything proceeds to decline. I’m in Fiji now and am considering rebooting the tank with actual live rock once I get back. I’m convinced the Real Reef stuff isn’t cutting it.

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the tank doing?
I lost 20% of my acros to what I can only determine was bacterial infection. Most everything else had STN and lost a lot of color. Because of the die off I had aggressive cyano so I decided to risk dosing chemiclean a few weeks ago. Ever since things have been rebounding. I speculate that the chemiclean eliminated the cyano and whatever bacteria was causing the die off. I wish I would’ve dosed it sooner, but I’ve always felt chemicals are last resort methods. I’m starting to see recovery growth for the first time in a long time. Hopefully improvement in coloration follows.

Back