Managing nitrates the good old fashioned way..... [VIDEO]

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks @samparker! This is an interesting approach!

I'm curious if others have used this methods and what did you find?

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have long been contemplating using a sulphur reactor as a nitrate filter in my 650 gallon FOWLR build. Also have considered a Jaubert style remote plenum in my basement. Awesome video and the most informative on the subject I have seen out there!

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when building these was a bit of a trend. They are effective but a bit sensitive and as I recall not without dangers.

OP
OP
samparker

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when building these was a bit of a trend. They are effective but a bit sensitive and as I recall not without dangers.

I find them not to be too sensitive at all and I think the "dangers" are over stated, but I'd be curious to your experiences?

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find them not to be too sensitive at all and I think the "dangers" are over stated, but I'd be curious to your experiences?

I built one and ran it with a needle valve on the outlet. I got tired of dealing with the media (one more thing to do) and the low pH of the effluent (my Calcium reactor was bad enough) and shut it down. I found adjusting the flow through to be as annoying as a coil denitrator but at least you didn't have to feed it vodka.

OP
OP
samparker

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built one and ran it with a needle valve on the outlet. I got tired of dealing with the media (one more thing to do) and the low pH of the effluent (my Calcium reactor was bad enough) and shut it down. I found adjusting the flow through to be as annoying as a coil denitrator but at least you didn't have to feed it vodka.
Fair enough. I've had mine running for 5+ years now and find if you keep the feed water free of detritus, you almost never have to touch the reactor again. I clean my media every 12-18 months due to detritus making its way into the reactor, but other than that it has been bullet proof

OP
OP
samparker

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh the PH leaving the sulphur reactor was around 7.5-7.6, nothing of too much concern?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 66 46.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back