Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 174 45.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 131 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 57 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Palytoxins, fish that sting, electricity and water, and many other dangers lurk in our reef tanks. Sometimes reef keepers pay careful attention to these risks and other times reef keepers hardly seem to take any precautions at all. What about you – do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank? Please tell us about your aquarium risk-based habits and feel free to share any best-practices with the R2R community!

kruley_palyzoa.jpeg

Photo by @kruley

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.deltecdirectusa.com

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.”
The electricity is always something that I think about. What if a heater gets a touch of water and it can literally kill you on the spot.

I dont worry at all about palytoxin unless im cutting one.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a lot more careful around my aquariums than I used to be. Here is some text I wrote about "Aquarium Safety" about 20 years ago. At some point, I'd like to update this. It may be TLDR for some folks, but I thought it might be helpful:

Aquarium Safety issues​

The safety of everyone who has contact with your aquarium(s) is of utmost importance. After that requirement is met, the animals themselves must be kept safe. The first consideration is that of the tank itself. Estimate that a fully filled aquarium will weigh in excess of 10 pounds for each gallon of its rated capacity. In every case, be certain that the stand you use to display the aquarium is sturdy enough to support its weight. Small aquariums actually have a safety issue that corresponds with their relatively lightweight – they are easily bumped, toppled or pushed off the stand. House cats have been known to knock small aquariums over – perhaps to feed on the fish? Young children are obviously going to get into mischief with an aquarium they can potentially pick up and walk around with. Any aquarium that has seams also has the potential to develop a leak. Small molded aquariums will not leak, but can be cracked by a sharp impact. Manufacturer warranties often exclude water damage to your home caused by such water leaks. Always be sure that your homeowners or renters insurance will cover any loss due to possible water damage.

All aquariums in homes with small children must also be securely covered; this includes any vats, buckets and tubs used to hold water for water changes. Every year there are tragic instances of children drowning in containers similar to these.

Electrical problems:

Water and electricity are a dangerous combination. People have been killed working on aquariums when an electrical problem was present. Whenever possible, only choose aquarium equipment that has been approved by the Underwriters Laboratory, (UL listed).

If you drop a non-submersible pump, heater, or other electrical device into a tank, DO NOT REACH FOR IT, turn off the circuit breaker and unplug the item first.

Never defeat the three pronged ground on any plug used around water. Always use a ground fault circuit interrupt (GFCI) system for all your aquarium’s electrical devices.

Never work on an aquarium in bare feet, while standing in water or in wet shoes.

Should you see another person that has possibly been electrocuted, do not approach them to offer assistance until the electrical power to the area has been shut off.

Signs of live electricity in a tank include bubbles in the water, gray cloudy water, and sometimes a burnt odor. The fish will most likely appear fine (Because they are not grounded, they do not receive a shock). Turn off the electricity to the area before servicing the tank.

If you should get a slight shock from a tank, stop working, and resolve the problem at once. This sort of trouble may become more serious later on.

Dangerous Aquatic Animals:

In addition to the commonly known dangerous animals, many seemingly harmless animals can also cause injury to unwary people. To avoid this sort of safety issue, always keep people (especially children), separated from potentially dangerous animals.

Never start a siphon by mouth, there are diseases that can be transmitted to humans if they ingest aquarium water. The preferred method is to prime the siphon hose with water first, (perhaps with a water pump) then start the siphon by dropping the end of the hose into a bucket or drain.

Wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling your aquarium animals, their water or any fresh fish foods.

The algae Caulerpa is reported to contain toxic alkaloid compounds. The zooanthid Palythoa, the coral Goniopora, and some other cnidarians (Anemones, corals, jellyfish and sea whips) contain extremely virulent toxins; do to ingest any of these species. In fact, due to these and other problems such as bacterial contamination, never place anything in your mouth that has been in contact with your aquarium’s water.

Fire worms are 1 to 2 inch long annelid worms that commonly live in marine aquarium gravel. Contact with their sharp spines results in a mild form of dermatitis. Prevention is the same as for avoiding anemone stings.

Cone shells have a long dart known as a radula, which they use to inject venom. These must only be handled with tongs.

A bite from a Blue ring octopus can be lethal. They make poor display animals, are short-lived and there is no antivenin available. Avoid this species.

Chemical Handling:

Many potentially dangerous chemicals are used in and around aquariums. It is surprising how many toxic chemicals can be purchased by anyone at his or her local pet store. Proper handling of any of these products is of course, very important.

When using a pipette to measure small volumes of a medication, never use your mouth to suck the fluid up into the tube, use a pipette bulb.

Formalin is commonly used as a fish medication. It is extremely toxic to humans whether inhaled, ingested, or exposed to the skin. It is best, when working with formalin, to use the smallest volume possible. That way, if a spill does occur, the effect will be minimized.

Test kit reagents are generally safe, because the chemical amounts that they use are so small, but always play it safe and wear gloves and eye protection.

With all medications, avoid contact with fish feeds or feeding equipment. All chemicals must be properly labeled. Keep all medications and other aquarium chemicals locked up when not in use.

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Palytoxins, fish that sting, electricity and water, and many other dangers lurk in our reef tanks. Sometimes reef keepers pay careful attention to these risks and other times reef keepers hardly seem to take any precautions at all. What about you – do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank? Please tell us about your aquarium risk-based habits and feel free to share any best-practices with the R2R community!

kruley_palyzoa.jpeg

Photo by @kruley

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.deltecdirectusa.com

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.”
My seams and seams and seams and seams and more seams. Oh and seams.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My precautions are to wash my hands before and after. I pluck palys with my finger nails. Bright green, brown, grandis I pluck them all. I don't eat them and I wash my hands when I'm done being sure not to touch any part of my face. I have never been able work with gloves on so I never wear them. If I was as scared of my tanks as some folks seem to be I just wouldn't have them. That said I have a high tolerance for risk and am not overly cautious when it comes to my own safety. Just the way I've always been. My actions are not a recommendation ;)

EDIT: I do try to use normal precautions around electricity but am not always succesful :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
This made me laugh and realize I’m the same way.

No licking my fingers after they have been in the tank.

Don’t eat the corals. I have fragged plenty of zoas and palys. Try my best not to cut into the stem - cuz getting squirted isnt the goal. If I have to I angle the coral away from my face.

Dont splash the electrical sockets with water- which is 100% why my outlets are in a storage area to the right of the tank. Although sometimes I have to dry off a plug before plugging it in.

Try not to drink too much water when starting a siphon- eh sometimes it happens.

All this and I have seen what lives in the water under a microscope.

Building my tolerance day by day! I have 2 cats and 3 dogs - I work in a ware house. I have cuts and stuff on my arms and hand….just wash well after getting them wet from the tank….or if they look funny through one of those bandaids that pull stuff out of cuts….i think they are hydrocolloids bandaids…. 1 day wearing those and cuts heal up nicely.

Like Exnisstech said I am not overly cautious about risk to myself …more cautious about risk to corals and fish….im probably more the type to push my luck than not….

I don’t let the dogs lick stuff that falls on the ground from the tank. I do have one weirdo cat who likes to lick the water off my arm and another who always taste the water.

Fun stuff… ;)

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled a rock of pallys and a goniastrea out two days ago. I promptly dawned my PPE which was a pair of flip flops, went to the garage, chizzled the goniastrea off and then put the fractured remnants on frag plugs. Im just cautious to not rub my eyes. Minimal risk i suppose.
lol PPE flip flops ….im general bare foot once im home. Even walking in and out of the garage while I was breaking rocks up to glue them back together….should have worn sandals those little pieces of rock had me cursing lol

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man if I tried not to touch one I would never put my hands in the tank lol

I don’t go grabbing my chateo with my bare hands but that’s only cuz the tongs work better to shake it all about!

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My carpet anemone that has been moving, and nobody wants to buy from me.
Now that’s one thing I won’t touch…saw what it did to my dads fingers when we had one growing up and I use those fingers daily!!!! Granted he was normally better about not touching it UNTIL the mad dash to save the stuff in the tank cuz it sprung a leak……

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I even really consider a danger is a tanks worth of SW all over the floor
That I am sure is a OSHA violation due to a slipping potential….i try to remember to throw down a towel when working on the tank….and sometimes half way through I’m really for the BF to bring me a towel cuz ooops

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back